WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anybody confirm the authenticity of this German destroyer name-plate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anybody confirm the authenticity of this German destroyer name-plate?

I did post this under Kriegsmarine Awards, but I realize that this is more of the appropriate forum.

I found this interesting find on eBay - a name-plate mounted on mahogany wood that is 65 cm wide and 24 cm high. The shop in question mainly sells antique books. - https://www.ebay.de/sch/m.html?_nkw=...&_sop=16&rt=nc

What I'm wondering is if anybody can confirm its authenticity as an actual name-plate from this certain destroyer. Through Wikipedia, I have found that this certain destroyer just mined certain areas and was later scuttled due to lack of gas. All in all, not really a storied career.

While I'll love for this item to be authentic (i.e. from the actual ship), this forum has taught me to be cautious about WW2 German items, especially when it comes to bigger pieces. Heck! Even the seller doesn't know if its refurbished from the ship, though I'm in contact with him to get more information (he's German...and I'm American).

If this helps, this is another name-plate that I have more confidence in its authenticity for another German destroyer, though its way outside my price range - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Kriegsm...cAAOxyUylTSCJL.

I'm sorry for rambling, but I would appreciate any sort of help you guys can provide for this case. You guys tend to be the most astute when it comes to examining German militaria.

While my experience is limited with regards to these nameplates. I would rather suggest that you invest in a period Mützenband of the ship instead. I believe in the wappen of ships (I haven't seen an original destroyer one yet) I have seen some nice decorative pillowcases however.
    I commend your skepticism. Never feel pressured or rushed to make a decision.

Look forward to what others have to say.

Best Regards,
    JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
      While my experience is limited with regards to these nameplates. I would rather suggest that you invest in a period Mützenband of the ship instead. I believe in the wappen of ships (I haven't seen an original destroyer one yet) I have seen some nice decorative pillowcases however.
      I commend your skepticism. Never feel pressured or rushed to make a decision.

Look forward to what others have to say.

Best Regards,
      JustinG
      Thanks for responding! It seems that this isn't as well known on the forums. This either means that this is rare...or this most likely fake.

Mützenbands might be interesting, but aren't they easily forged? Where could you find decorative pillowcases?

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=pillowcase

Here is a thread where others (Including myself) showed some fine pillowcases.

They unfortunately, don't turn up that often.

Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

As far as mützenband and their creation. It is fortunate that the people who produce the fakes haven't perfected the construction design.
          Schlachtschiff Scharnhorst is probably the most difficult and could be a forgery out in the field. Full equal length for that one only. Other tidbits like the fact that no known examples of the Bismarck, Graf Zeppelin, or Tirpitz were produced.

There is a pinned thread with several examples and great information in the KM uniform Equipment forum.

Worth checking out.
          The really nice thing is that this area of collecting is not too out there with regards to prices; Definitely cheaper than say the SS and their cuffbands.

Regards,
          JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X