A little identification help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little identification help needed please

Just picked this strange KM electro mechanical up at auction , Any ideas on this ????? im stumped (-'

any ideas would be great

regards
    mark

Do you really believe that this is a period birth i think it's all fantasy from the top to the bottom

Comment

Well lets just wait and see !! time will tell, one thing I have learned in 30 years of collecting is only idiots jump to conclusions without doing thire homework first. and for £20 its worth the risk (-'

Comment

Originally posted by bod1966 View Post
        Well lets just wait and see !! time will tell, one thing I have learned in 30 years of collecting is only idiots jump to conclusions without doing thire homework first. and for £20 its worth the risk (-'
        ?????

You asked for opinions and got one from a knowledgeable member . Why this answer ?

And I agree: the font screams "fake"

Comment

I might be a idiot but i try to keep informed by following threads like these and buy books (Konrad Knirim) which keep me away from missteps,.....of course i couldn't know everything and i'm not trying to convince you at all, good luck friendly fellow

Comment

At first i was not willing to help you further by reading your reply, but at the other hand this forum has to be informative so let's go to the subject,........this engraving looks like it was done by the maker Junghans but it has been done in a very sloppy way ,....look at the the word Kriegsmarine every letter must be straight with the same distance between each letter, the letters K and G seems to be odd for a Junghans and the eagle looks way to sloppy to be the real deal,......if you have the book from Konrad Knirim Military Timepieces 150 years watches and clocks of German Forces, i recommend you to go to page 191 look and "compare the engraving with the example you have", i have a few of these Kriegsmarine clocks and i can tell you the engraving looks a little bit different then the one you have
            Last edited by 48RMC; 07-30-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I Agree, completely fake IMO.

Comment

GOT IT !!!!!!!! Pitometer logs (that is known as pit logs) are used to measure a ship's speed relative to the water. They are used on both surface ships and submarines. Data from the pitometer is fed Usually Directly into the ship's navigation system. During World War II, pitometer logs were often interfaced Directly into warship fire control systems. This interface can be used to control the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitometer_log

Comment

During World War II, pitometer logs were often interfaced directly into warship fire control systems. This interface was necessary to allow gunnery and torpedo fire control systems to automatically track targets.

The pitometer log was patented[2] in 1899 by Edward Smith Cole.
                  Last edited by bod1966; 08-01-2017, 12:17 PM.

Comment

GOT IT !!!!!!!! Pitometer logs (that is known as pit logs) are used to measure a ship's speed relative to the water. They are used on both surface ships and submarines. Data from the pitometer is fed Usually Directly into the ship's navigation system. During World War II, pitometer logs were often interfaced Directly into warship fire control systems. This interface can be used to control the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitometer_log
                    Nice, very interested, thank you very much for the info!!!!!!
                    Last edited by 48RMC; 08-01-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

K/542 was the yard number for U-566 which was scuttled in the North Atlantic, unless they're the clock manufactures markings I didn't think these sort of yard markings were put on instruments, so perhaps someone has added the markings to try and turn the item into something it isn't?

Comment

Hello, any markings on the back side please? IMO the engravings (eagle + KM) are bad copies based on this type:

KM clock.jpg
                        Last edited by glaser; 08-02-2017, 03:58 PM. Reason: typo error

Comment

fake watch with similar writing as #1

fake KM watch.jpg

fake watch sold on ebay; country of origin of the seller: UKRAINE

Comment

Kriegsmarine pitometer for sale ebay

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Kriegsma...YAAOSwe09ZoUMp

Comment

Just picked this strange KM electro mechanical up at auction , Any ideas on this ????? im stumped (-'

any ideas would be great

regards
                              mark
                              What is wrong with the picture hosting, I see a lot of pictures disappearing?

This was the "pitometer" in this thread

fake pitometer KM.JPG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X