Summers Breast Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summers Breast Eagle

I picked this up today and couldn't pass it up for $32 USD. I don't know to much about these so any help would be greatly appreciated. It looks to have been used and may have been exposed to heat of some sort or it may be age but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Nice eagle...especially for the price. Yes....a little wear but still nice. I had one just like that...gold color worn off.....guess it was the maker or salt water.

Comment

Originally posted by Edelweisse View Post
        Nice eagle...especially for the price. Yes....a little wear but still nice. I had one just like that...gold color worn off.....guess it was the maker or salt water.
        Thanks and I thought I have seen one just like the one I posted it may have been the same maker and it's guilt was partially worn off as well.

Comment

Same type posted here:
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...79#post7791879

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
            Same type posted here:
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...79#post7791879

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Thank you Norm and I wasn't expecting that it was a possible French made eagle.

Comment

Good summer bird James and you cant beat the price. I agree with Norm : same variation as discussed in his link. As far as I know there are at least 2 variants of this bird (which exists in both gold and silver) The most common type is made of zink and typically shows finish loss like yours. On that variation the catch is flat stock and the lower clasp has a bent tip like yours. The second type (probably earlier version) has a round stock catch, the lower clasp is straight and this version usually holds its finish better because it looks to be made of brass like the attached specimen or the one shown by Valoche in the link

Regards

JC
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Claude View Post
                Good summer bird James and you cant beat the price. I agree with Norm : same variation as discussed in his link. As far as I know there are at least 2 variants of this bird (which exists in both gold and silver) The most common type is made of zink and typically shows finish loss like yours. On that variation the catch is flat stock and the lower clasp has a bent tip like yours. The second type (probably earlier version) has a round stock catch, the lower clasp is straight and this version usually holds its finish better because it looks to be made of brass like the attached specimen or the one shown by Valoche in the link

Regards

JC
                Thanks JC and the head and certain wear marks across the back have a copper look to them. I have seen other summer eagles that I know for sure were zink and the catches all had a wide base to ensure the attachment. Maybe the French were using a very high quality zink. The other strange thing is the guilt, I assume it was brushed on judging by the brush lines I see in the gold and dark areas. No brush marks on the head which has a copper look. I also wonder if the guilt used has a lead content. I have encountered lead paint that separated and left a lead base when it started chipping, I especially seen it on metal post I was cleaning. I assumed when I bought it that it was zink but the way the catch was attached made me question it. It's a very neat eagle and I just couldn't past it up and then the price came up and it was done. It is very well done and now that I know it is considered French made which I love adding to my collection I am as happy as I can be.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyboots View Post
                  The other strange thing is the gilt, I assume it was brushed on judging by the brush lines I see in the gold and dark areas. ...

I assumed when I bought it that it was zink but the way the catch was attached made me question it.
                  The "French-made" Kriegsmarine badges (albeit controversial as to period of production) have a similar gilding and loss over time. Also, they would often skip the base plate under the catch, and none was used for the top hook despite being round-wire and attached to zinc end-on.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

A couple more showing that "brushed-on" look to the gilding.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Group shot (I forget where this was posted before - maybe warrelics forum?). Again shows that typical asymmetrical loss of gilding.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Norm F; 05-14-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                        Group shot (I forget where this was posted before). Again shows that typical asymmetrical loss of gilding.
                        Fantastic group Norm and thank you for the comparison pictures.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X