Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translation Needed - What is this?!

Hi,
    This plaque was recently sold at an auction in England. I have some basic german, but the text on it is very technical and doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone tell me what it is? It appear to suggest that it's part of U-11, found at Bergen, but U-11 was destroyed at Kiel, and I don't think was ever long in Bergen. Of course Bergen was home to the 11th U-boat flotilla but .... maybe it has nothing to do with U-boats at all? I tried putting it through google translate, but just got out nonsense.
    Thanks
    Keith

U-Boot “UII”
    Teilstück des achteren Druckkörpers zur Tauchzelle I - Stärke 18mm. Amagnetisch - nicht rostend. Im April 1983 durch die Werft Mjellem & Carlson (Bergen / Norw.) anl. Einbau der MBB Erno Notanblaseeinrichtung-aus dem Rumpf gebrannt.
    Attached Files

Part of the aft pressure body of the immersion cell I - thickness 18mm. Non-magnetic - non-rusting. In April 1983 welded out of the hull by the shipyard Mjellem & Carlson (Bergen / Norway.) on the occasion of the installation of the MBB Erno emergency air blowing system.

Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB)
    ERNO Raumfahrttechnik GmbH (ERNO)
    1982 MBB and ERNO merged into MBB-ERNO

Comment

U2 bundesmarine class 205 boat build 1969 and served until 1993.

Regards
      Christian

Comment

Mystery Plaque

Brilliant - thanks so much Compressore and Glaser. I think I understand now. It is basically a part of a Bundesmarine submarine that was removed during a refit in Bergen. I've had a bit of a look at the history of Bundesmarine submarines, and it seems likely to me that the II should be read as 11 (eleven) not the Roman 2, as given dates of service it makes more sense that it would have been (Bundesmarine) U-11 rather than U-2.
        Appreciate your help gentlemen, I would never have got there by myself.
        Regards Keith

Comment

My pleasure Keith, that is the strenght and fun of this WAF forum!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X