KM Barometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Barometer

I recently purchased this barometer and was wondering if people could help me with any details.

Firstly, the front, clear cover: I expected this would be glass, but it is actually a plastic (and doesn't look recent); is this correct?

As well, I was a bit surprised to see how cloudy it is, and that it is turning a definite green colour. Normally I see old, clear plastic go cloudy but more of a yellow tone. The photo does not capture just how green/blue the plastic is! The housing of the barometer is a bit rough, so I'm sure it wasn't stored well for all these years, but the face is in very nice shape.

Note: the needle has since been adjusted to a more correct 1009 mb, and it is varying with our local weather quite well, although a bit more "exaggerated" than our local weather station suggests . Any advice on maintenance that should be undertaken, or not, would also be appreciated!

Both om mine has glass cover. If some of these had plastic cover, I don't know. Hopefully someone else here knows.

Regards,
    André
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Andre. Interesting to note that mine (which is 15020 N) has the fatter "M" like your earlier 4727, and not like your later 12690 N. A different line/printing machine, maybe?

As you can see, my front cover ring has a nasty dent in it; I wondered if that shattered the original glass and it was replaced? As mentioned before, if that is the case then it was likely done long ago, as the grit on the plastic is very consistent with the rest of the unit.

Comment

I know that your plastic glass is cloudy, but can you take some closeup pictures of the eagle? As you can see there is a difference between the earlier and the later version. Would be interesting to see if your eagle is the same as the earlier version since the your "M" is.

I think the dent might have caused the breaking of the glass. It's impossible to say if the replacement of the plastic has been done during the war or after the war. Hopefully someone with more knowøedge on barometeres can tell us more about this.

/André
        Attached Files

Comment

I can't get a picture to turn-out, and I'm too nervous to try and remove the front cover (it's on there quite tightly)!, but it's like the older eagle: the wreath is "fatter", as is the centre of the swastika, more like your 4727.

Comment

Try polishing the "glass" with autosolve
            You can use very fine wet and dry to remove any deep scratches first

Comment

Okay, I took the front cover off and got a good shot of the eagle and "M". I also got a picture of the back of the manual needle, and it looks "riveted" in place, suggesting it's probably original. The front plastic is green all around, seemingly all the way through, so perhaps it was like that from new?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X