No announcement yet.

U-170 visor cap to Gerold Hauber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not collect visors nor am I expert with them. In fact, I own exactly one, from Stonemint.

My question to the posters on this thread is exactly what is it that you with for the auction house to do to this visor to confirm period wartime manufacture?

I am not clear if what you want requires cutting into the visor somehow, or undoing stitching or what?

I guess if an item is valuable enough, some damage might be tolerated or acceptable, to confirm, but I am confused on what is required right now to prove the point?

Thanks to anybody who will clarify the steps needed.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
      I do not collect visors nor am I expert with them. In fact, I own exactly one, from Stonemint.

My question to the posters on this thread is exactly what is it that you with for the auction house to do to this visor to confirm period wartime manufacture?

I am not clear if what you want requires cutting into the visor somehow, or undoing stitching or what?

I guess if an item is valuable enough, some damage might be tolerated or acceptable, to confirm, but I am confused on what is required right now to prove the point?

Thanks to anybody who will clarify the steps needed.

John

Well, lets just say if it tuns out there is a cardboard support band, then this visor is a dud. At this point the ball is in the auction houses court

Comment

As mentioned, some background information on the company which produced Hans-Gerold Hauber's cap. After the cap was brought up for discussion I contacted the Märcker company to see whether they could provide any information on the possible time frame of production of this cap.

Fortunately they did respond and literally mentioned the following;

According to the information on the sweat shield the cap must have been produced prior to or during WW2.

Märcker was drafted into the army later in the war and was taken P.O.W. He returned from his P.O.W. time at the end of 1951- early 1952. From the moment he was drafted into the army no caps were produced any more.

In the later stages of the war the shop was destroyed during a bombing raid and first after Märcker returned from his P.O.W. time in 1952, a new shop was opened and Märcker started to produce Marine caps again.

This was however at a different location due to the old shop having been destroyed; the new location being at Hafenstrasse 170 in Bremervörde. In 1947 the name of the town where the shop was located previously, Wesermünde, was changed into Bremervörde.

The caps which were produced at the new location had a new, different lable; no way Märcker would have used an old lable in a post-war produced cap which were being issued on order for Bundesmarine officers

Marine caps were produced upto 1998.

This is a very nice example of a Kriegsmarine cap produced by the small cap manufacturer Paul Märcker, quite a unique item as not even advanced collectors have seen examples of Kriegsmarine caps of this maker!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X