Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unofficial symbols for tellermütze

Hi Gents

These days I wonder myself if would be possible for km sailor cap(tellermütze)could wear any symbol as I could see in some pics.I always knew about wearing tradition symbols,etc but put on side caps(bordmütze)u boats,etc but Tellermütze symbols were under regulations or not and what would be the purpose from those symbols when sailors used them apart from uboats men,any thoughts or ideas from you

imag
    imagen jpg

subir fotos online

subir imagenes
    imagen jpg

Finally if anyone has any tellermütze with any symbol or badge aside the national emblem or any period pic from a sailor wearing them,please could you post here

thanks in advance for light me

fernando
    Last edited by L11-VELASCO; 01-22-2017, 11:24 AM.

Sorry nobody knows nothing about or no ideas
    Im so interested to know about this and I coud not find anything apart pics I posted

Comment

Very interesting subject this one indeed!

Here's a lengthy answer I wrote on GMC regarding the subject of wearing Edelweiss' on their Schiffchen:

The wearing of Edelweiss on their KM-Schiffchen became very popular during the Campaign of Narvik 1940. There are countless of pictures of former Zerstörer-Crewmembers who are wearing the Edelweiss on their Schiffchen (widely known as Gebirgsmarine).

After the Battle of Narvik 1940 the wearing of such Edelweiss' were a common practise for all kinds of different units. Here's an example from my own photo-collection showing some crewmembers from the Minensuchboot M-109 - take note of the crewmember on the extreme right: he's wearing a Edelweiss on his Schiffchen. The lack of any awards points to the conclusion that he's wearing the Edelweiss as belonging to the boat itself; and the wearing has nothing to do that he's an former veteran from the Battle of Narvik 1940.

Mvh. AH
      Attached Files

Comment

And then the wearing of Abzeichen on Tellermützen - In my humble collection I have 3 pictures of a crewmember belonging to Zerstörer Diether von Roeder (sunk at Narvik April 13th 1940).

First off is a pre-war picture of this guy - clearly wearing his Mützenband Zerstörer Diether von Roeder.

Mvh. AH
        Attached Files

Comment

After the Battle of Narvik 1940 the surviving crewmembers travelled back to Germany for refitting. Some went to join other Zerstörers, some went into the U-Boot-Waffe etc.

Here's a photo of the same crewmember proudly wearing his EK II Klasse which he most likely had been awarded for his service during the Battle of Narvik 1940. Note that he's also wearing an Edelweiss on his Tellermützen; and that he has replaced his Diether von Roeder Mützenband with the Kriegsmarine Mützenband. A true Gebirgsmarine!

Also note the lack of any Zerstörerkriegsabzeichen! This indicates that he probably had this photo taken shortly after his return to Germany in the summer/early autumn of 1940.

Mvh. AH
          Attached Files

Comment

Finally, after being awarded both the Narvikschild and the Zerstörerkriegsabzeichen; and being promoted in ranks aswell - our crewmember from Zerstörer Diether von Roeder had another photo taken. Note that he has removed his Edelweiss from his Tellermützen, but sporting proudly his awards (EK II Klasse, Narvikschild and Zerstörerkriegsabzeichen).

I've got no photo of him showing the wear of any Schiffchen with Edelweiss, but it could be that he as a reminder of the Battle of Narvik 1940 continued to wear the Edelweiss as a proudly sign of him being a veteran and a Gebirgsmarine from Narvik 1940.

Mvh. AH
            Attached Files

Comment

The use of unit insignias with the Tellermütze was very unusual IMO, these were used only onboard as unofficial insignias, so with the Teller were not used but with the Bordmütze.

AH, that photo with the edelweiss is absolutely great, thanks for sharing
              Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
              Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Thanks Eduardo for your as always nice words

In my humble collection of photos I see that both the Schiffchen and the Tellermütze were used widely during the Battle of Narvik 1940; but unfortunately I only got clear photos of Schiffchen with Edelweiss being worn during the Battle itself.

However; when the crewmembers got back to Germany after the Battle of Narvik 1940 it seems that being photographed was a priority. Here's a nice photo of 3 crewmembers from Zerstörer Erich Giese proudly wearing the Edelweiss on their Schiffchen. Note the lack of any awards - this indicates that this photo most certainly was taken before any awards for Narvik (Narvikschild, Zerstörerkriegsabzeichen) were given.

Mvh. AH
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by A.H. Thomassen View Post
                  Here's an example from my own photo-collection showing some crewmembers from the Minensuchboot M-109 - take note of the crewmember on the extreme right: he's wearing a Edelweiss on his Schiffchen. The lack of any awards points to the conclusion that he's wearing the Edelweiss as belonging to the boat itself; and the wearing has nothing to do that he's an former veteran from the Battle of Narvik 1940.
                  IMO the use of the edelweiss as headgear insignia by surface crew members indicate that they were Narvik Battle veterans. I have no references that any surface vessels used the edelweiss as unit insignia, as was done by some U-boat.
                  Attached Files
                  Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                  Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

About the question what I opened this thread for:this time Im posting a new interesting pic where we could see a minesweeper crew being awarded(I suppose)and so it is an OFFICIAL ACT
                    Well although pic is not very clear even when I zoomed the pic I could see a supposal small symbol(this time is not Edelweiss Narvik cause the size) added on first row third sailor,s tellermütze if you count from sailor being awarded at that moment on the right corner
                    I don,t know mark this to show you,may be one from you could do it for me.
                    What are your thoughts about this pic...it appears an unofficial symbol worn in Official act or is not any possible symbol

imag

Thank for your thoughts

Fernando

Comment

One that I have had for many years.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by L11-VELASCO View Post
                        About the question what I opened this thread for:this time Im posting a new interesting pic where we could see a minesweeper crew being awarded(I suppose)and so it is an OFFICIAL ACT
                        Well although pic is not very clear even when I zoomed the pic I could see a supposal small symbol(this time is not Edelweiss Narvik cause the size) added on first row third sailor,s tellermütze if you count from sailor being awarded at that moment on the right corner
                        I don,t know mark this to show you,may be one from you could do it for me.
                        What are your thoughts about this pic...it appears an unofficial symbol worn in Official act or is not any possible symbol

imag

Thank for your thoughts

Fernando
                        Jmcm thank for posting this nice visor...how I would wish one like this

Well, this sailor on center is which I do mean has added on his Tellermütze what I suppose as a symbol and so my question is a symbol or may be a mark in the pic, what do you think

sube imagenes

Fernando

Comment

Originally posted by jmcm View Post
                          One that I have had for many years.
                          Very nice cap and 10 U-Flottille badge.

Best regards
                          Ben

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X