Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with KM U-boat Crew Names

Hello folks,

I was hoping somebody here who's good with names can give me some assistance on the attached picture because it's driving me absolutely nuts.

The front is easy enough to figure out - 5 sailors, all with U-boat service as indicated by the badges and distinctive blouse. What I can't figure out is why I can't find anything even remotely close to a single name on the internet's U-boat Crew List search tool: http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/....php?lang_cl=2

The back appears to say Kamerades from U-530 and lists the 5 crewmen. I tried deciphering all but one of the names and can come up with nothing. The first name looks like Georg Rolakowski, but again no such sailor listed.

Can anybody help

Thanks and I look forward to any help you can offer.

vr

Bob
    Attached Files

First, I would list here all 5 names as you see it, then post again on the paper forum for help with the names. to confirm.

John

Comment

without any guarantee:

Georg Rolakowski
      Franz Behrens
      Franz Rothenbucher
      Guenther Jordan
      ? last one I have problems to read

Same as you, no one matches with U-530 and also not with other ones in the database.
      The picture taken in Hamburg as stated is also a bit of a question as U-530 was only the last three month of 1944 in Germany (Flensburg). Its stated that it got a new diving tank but it was not mentioned at which dockyard (the boat was build in Hamburg).
      As the men are in "working" dress, maybe they accompanied the boat to Germaniawerft Hamburg ??

For the database, not all men are in.
      Maybe also the crew changed a lot during 4 month dockyard time.
      Maybe someone can get his hands on the interrogation report after surrendering as all crew names should be listed there.

Nice riddle....hope it can be solved
      Last edited by compressore; 09-06-2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the effort Compressore.

I agree that Jordan is a possibility and the last one looks like Patzwenk or Patzwink, etc... Nothing though anywhere for these names.

They were definitely affiliated with the U-530 as there is no mistaking the originality of the ink to the paper.

I'll give it another try tomorrow like John suggested.

Have a good night men and thanks again!

vr

Bob

Comment

one more remark:
          its mentioned that :"crew-list of members surrendered in Argentina is not fully researched"
          The list contains only 10 names out of a crew of approx. 50
          http://www.ubootarchiv.de/ubootwiki/index.php/U_530

Comment

Bob,

Once the signature experts agree on the names, the rest will be relatively easy.

John

Comment

Bob,

Once you have the names, list all 5 here and I will work on identification.

John

Comment

Try contacting Peter Monte at http://www.dubm.de/home.html

If he is still volunteering there then I'm sure he would be willing to help you. They have lots more names listed to individual U-boats than are available on the internet.

Good hunting..!

Comment

Roger! Once I compile what's in the Paper & Photos Forum I'll list it here.

Thanks again!

vr

Bob

Comment

Here are four confirmed names and their ages at time of surrender in Argentina:

1. Herbert Pütsnich Age 22

2. Artur Jordan Age 21

3. Harry Kolakowaski Age 21

4. Franz Rolhenbücher Age 22

I do not think #5 is Franz Behrens. Must be some other name. Any other ideas?

John

Comment

John,

You are the man!!:

Many thanks for solving this. I now realize why the crew list on the Marine Archiv wasn't making sense when I saw 45ish names. All but a few served on the U-530 at some time and then transferred. I didn't look at the info that closely. I was just focused on the names.

Thanks again!! Thank you also to those who threw their thoughts in the ring!

vr

Bob

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                      Here are four confirmed names and their ages at time of surrender in Argentina:

1. Herbert Pütsnich Age 22

2. Artur Jordan Age 21

3. Harry Kolakowaski Age 21

4. Franz Rolhenbücher Age 22

I do not think #5 is Franz Behrens. Must be some other name. Any other ideas?

John

Comment

John
                        would you be able to share the source of your information ?

This good research shows that the database is by far not complete and that "not in the database" means not much.
                        The soldiers shown on the photo are no "newbies" but seems to have served long time with the U-Boats (see their Frontspange)

Would be good if we can supply the data to the database (I can do this if other ones do not have access) in order those names will be available for future research by other interested.
                        Also maybe other information will show up by posting it into the community.

For the name "Behrens", imo the name is very well readable like this.

Regards
                        Christian

Comment

Christian,

The source of the names are from the archives of the Argentine Navy compiled when the U-boat entered the Submarine Base at Mar del Plata on 10 July.

I will see if I can get author/researcher permission to repost here the entire crew list to make sure I am not stepping on any toes.

Franz Behrens' name does not appear on that Argentinian report, so I have to surmise he transferred prior to the last time U-530 sailed.

John

Comment

OK, all 5 are now identified.

The fifth name is the more senior petty officer Heinz Rehin.

All aboard when the boat surrendered.

Best, John

Comment

Christian,

Source below with scans of crew list. John
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X