Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U boat Headgear and clothing

Hi guys, i have few questions.
    And i cant use the search option tru tapatalk.

What was the typical headgear used on Uboats and typical clothing?
    Is it like what was portrayed in the movie Das Boot?

It is that i am looking for something related to Uboat, thanks to that movie that i saw a 1000 times when i was a kid. And then i know what i can look for.
    I am not planning to put a full Uboat mannequin, since i am a W-SS collector But its more of a adventureous childish dream of sub marines and im trying to full fill it with something

Well since you collect Waffen-SS it will be no surprice to you how difficult to find and to some point expensive anything original and with provenace U-Boat related will be.

About how accurate the uniforms/combinations/headgear are in the movie Das Boot, I can say in my very personal opinion, extreamly good, that movie was made with such care and atention to detail that is still "THE" movie about WW2 submarine/U-Boat service.

You can see the quite nice representation of the german design short jacket based in the British early BD jacket which some where used early on by uboat crews from capture British depots. You can see the use of the TWO styles of Kriegsmarine tropical jackets, the one with full collar and lapels and the one with short/stand up one, the leather weather coats, red tinted goggles, nice side caps for regular crews with the white one for medical, the officers visors caps where specialy good in their shape and wear, specially the Captain white top that goes from clean white early on to the combat patrol look thru the movie, The officer tunics/refeer are also very nice with the wide long lapels and hiden extra button under them but faintly visible, the personal civilian clothing combinations also make an aperance in the movie, including the plaid shirt!!!

So in other words, the movie is a good visual reference of what was used by uboat crews. There also very good books covering the subject in detail and showing original uniforms and specimens of Uboat items, be sure to look in the collectors display area the collection of WA member MICHEL KRIEGSMARINE UBOAT COLLECTION, you will see superb original items full manequins, regalia,awards, etc of the german naval arm.

Some of the recomended books on the Uboat uniforms/regalia:

Torpedo-Los by Bender Publication

Uboat crews by Osprey publication

Doenitz Uboat Crews by Shiffer

U-Boot 1939/45. by HC publication

there are other publications, including a recent one dedicated to specific Uboat comanders and their combat patrols/boats.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Federico Perez View Post
      Well since you collect Waffen-SS it will be no surprice to you how difficult to find and to some point expensive anything original and with provenace U-Boat related will be.

About how accurate the uniforms/combinations/headgear are in the movie Das Boot, I can say in my very personal opinion, extreamly good, that movie was made with such care and atention to detail that is still "THE" movie about WW2 submarine/U-Boat service.

You can see the quite nice representation of the german design short jacket based in the British early BD jacket which some where used early on by uboat crews from capture British depots. You can see the use of the TWO styles of Kriegsmarine tropical jackets, the one with full collar and lapels and the one with short/stand up one, the leather weather coats, red tinted goggles, nice side caps for regular crews with the white one for medical, the officers visors caps where specialy good in their shape and wear, specially the Captain white top that goes from clean white early on to the combat patrol look thru the movie, The officer tunics/refeer are also very nice with the wide long lapels and hiden extra button under them but faintly visible, the personal civilian clothing combinations also make an aperance in the movie, including the plaid shirt!!!

So in other words, the movie is a good visual reference of what was used by uboat crews. There also very good books covering the subject in detail and showing original uniforms and specimens of Uboat items, be sure to look in the collectors display area the collection of WA member MICHEL KRIEGSMARINE UBOAT COLLECTION, you will see superb original items full manequins, regalia,awards, etc of the german naval arm.

Some of the recomended books on the Uboat uniforms/regalia:

Torpedo-Los by Bender Publication

Uboat crews by Osprey publication

Doenitz Uboat Crews by Shiffer

U-Boot 1939/45. by HC publication

there are other publications, including a recent one dedicated to specific Uboat comanders and their combat patrols/boats.

Hope it helps.
      Thank you very much!
      Its indeed very difficult to find some pieces of clothing used by Uboot personnel. I knew they used early British bd jackets, but didnt know that they portrayed them also in the movie and it was so accurate. Ill sure look for those books. For headgear: did the Uboot crew used the same blue schiffen as the normal KM ones?
      As for jacket: you can convert an early British bd jacket?
      The on board usage of uniforms were the most iconic, imo, to me in the movie, not the dress ones in the beginning in that tavern

Comment

Those books mentioned by Federico are indeed recommendable. And as he mentioned: original U-Boot related stuff is quite rare and thus expensive. Though U-Boot badges can be bought for fairly good prices already.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
          Those books mentioned by Federico are indeed recommendable. And as he mentioned: original U-Boot related stuff is quite rare and thus expensive. Though U-Boot badges can be bought for fairly good prices already.
          I did find a uboot badge without catch for 160€ and a KM rain hood for 150 (allround KM item, but nicely portrayed in Das Boot)

Comment

And U-Boot badges including hinge and catch can be found for the same price with a bit of effort. Check Giel's site regularly for example or even Militaria Berlin which now every friday has updates with 10 - 50 % discount on badges. Good deals to be found at both.

Comment

Items

I have an early british b d pleated pockets for sale and a sudswester
              Also have a life vest I will be putting on the ESTAND ,pm me if interested ,Will

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
                And U-Boot badges including hinge and catch can be found for the same price with a bit of effort. Check Giel's site regularly for example or even Militaria Berlin which now every friday has updates with 10 - 50 % discount on badges. Good deals to be found at both.
                Bedankt man for the tip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X