Coastal artillery camo tropical jacket period photo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal artillery camo tropical jacket period photo's

A one of a kind and very unusual tunic IMO, and one that is in all aspects 100% original (the authentic camo paint and wear/aging is unfortunately very difficult to capture in a photo).

Anyhow, I would love to see if there are period photographs of similar KM tunics known?

Input much appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Zauberflöte; 05-14-2016, 02:41 PM.

Never seen anything like this or have an idea about originality, but it looks damn awesome. J

Comment

It is hard to tell from your photographs, but was the camouflage applied with a brush or spray paint?

The 509th PIB and 517th PRCT are well known for camouflage painting their jump suits and equipment for the Southern France jump.
      Attached Files

Comment

hello

i see you bought the jacket ,

http://www.imcsmilitaria.com/viewphoto.php?x=0

i found it verry intresting

I hope sombody have pictures in use

greetings Bruno

Comment

Originally posted by Beersheba4thLH View Post
          It is hard to tell from your photographs, but was the camouflage applied with a brush or spray paint?
          It is done with a brush with some tones of black added.

@ BRUNO; correct.

It originates from an advanced US collection that has been put on the market.

Comment

these buttons were not on it when it was brushed ...
            certainly against any german regulations, I would not keep it in my collection unless someone comes up with wartime pictures and no photoshop :-)

Comment

Originally posted by glaser View Post
              certainly against any german regulations, I would not keep it in my collection unless someone comes up with wartime pictures and no photoshop :-)
              I agree. I've NEVER seen one like it before in any photos!?!

Comment

Sir, implying? This would be difficult to judge based on this pic not seeing the reverse of the buttons I would think.., besides as I am sure you know, these tunics have all the buttons detachable ;-).

Anyhow, with respect, if I would feel the need discussing the tunic I would have posted more photo's; but I'm totally confident with it.
                OF COURSE the tunic is completely against regulations, but ain't that the fun part of it? (btw, I woud like to invite you to the thread "uniforms I wouldn't buy").

The camouflaging was most likely done on small unit level as is more often witnessed when it comes to exotic camouflage.

Indeed the idea of starting this thread was the - perhaps idle- hope that maybe a photo surfaced of a similar practice, not to proof the tunic to be genuine of course (since it doesn't), but just to entertain all of us and myself in particular, with garments not 95% of the collectors have or consider to be "the standard".

Thank you.

Comment

hello zauberflote

when you like the tunic, and in your opinion everithing is original, thats a good point, you bought the tunic for your collection, and i like it ,,,,,

maybe you never find original pictures from the tunic in use,,,

but maybe it came from a small unit ??? you never now

but thanks for shearing the tunic on the WAF

everybody have is opinion,,,,,,

greetings Bruno

Comment

Looks really nice even though I have no knowledge on authenticity.

Talking about regulations: I have read many, many German Heer and SS memoires and all the time you can read where they changed and altered clothing and equipment to personal preferences. Even using a lot of captured clothing and accessoiries (Soviet belts where liked a lot for example). So we should leave behind the idea of everything being done according to regulations. That was perhaps initially in the war but as the war progressed and soldiers were on the frontlines for longer periods they started to adapt to what was useful, comfortable, looked nicer etc. etc. And even further on in the war things started to become more chaotic and soldiers didn't always get their needed supplies of ammo, food and equipment so they started to improvise in the field, resulting in a huge variety of everything. Basically: take and use what's useful!

So for those clinging on to "textbook" and "regulations" I would suggest to spend some time with the many good and interesting memoires that are out there. Lots of interesting things to find

Comment

Zauberflöte
                      Yes the buttons are detachable. Implying nothing, just my opinion. I you are happy with the jacket that is all what counts. Enjoy it.

Marcel
                      I am very sceptical to new and exotic pop ups that no collector has seen over the past 71 years. Not everything was done by the regulations indeed, however some standard items sell better if they are a little bit stange. When it is easy to make things strange for the seller, I am even more sceptical. I would expect this style of camouflage also to be applied on helmet and vehicles no? Nice maybe for a buyer who can start dreaming of the day he will find a pictures that proves everything, but not in my collection, which is of course a very personal view. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum as you know. Thanks for sharing your opinion and information on WAF.

Comment

As said, the tunic originates from a very advanced older Californian collection that was recently sold. Of course this proves nothing but it tracks back a certain history. This combined with the very clear and evident wear/patina on the camouflaged parts and certain knowledge I have acquired over the past years, ruled out the first sceptism also I had before I had it in hand. I could also imagine someone might have pimped such a "uninteresting" tropical KM tunic for whatever purpose.

In general, somehow it is difficult to find these tropical KM coastal Art. tunics that where actually worn, this one was for sure.

Almost every week a new photo-proof-discovery is shown here on the WAF or in books published. Who knows, when one of the handful subject tunics has been photographed... likely fresh copies will start surface as was also the case with the US Airborne tunics shown in post #3.

So let us forget discussing this particular tunic, and just hope for another interesting German - non uniform - practice shown on photo, the main reason why we all collect (and why this thread was started).

In the meanwhile I will enjoy having it.
                        Last edited by Zauberflöte; 05-16-2016, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Marcel
                          I am very sceptical to new and exotic pop ups that no collector has seen over the past 71 years. Not everything was done by the regulations indeed, however some standard items sell better if they are a little bit stange. When it is easy to make things strange for the seller, I am even more sceptical. I would expect this style of camouflage also to be applied on helmet and vehicles no? Nice maybe for a buyer who can start dreaming of the day he will find a pictures that proves everything, but not in my collection, which is of course a very personal view. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum as you know. Thanks for sharing your opinion and information on WAF.
                          I am also quite sceptical with all the fantasy items being thrown onto the market all the time. And I agree, some items are easy to create for a seller to give an item an odd yet interesting look. Still, with new photos popping up all the time (with new photo albums from veterans being brought onto the market after their passing) new insights come with it and therefor I don't immediately would say this camouflage item is a fantasy piece and/or dismiss it as fake. The camo could be done recently, it could be done wartime and time will tell if photos pop up to show proof.

In the meantime it's an interesting piece with the chance of being real and immediately being unique.

Comment

Instead of waiting for a wartime picture you could of course go for a paint examination: any laboratory can tell easily the different between a WW2 paint and one in use today.

Comment

Instead of waiting for a wartime picture you could of course go for a paint examination: any laboratory can tell easily the different between a WW2 paint and one in use today.
                              Dear Sir, you have made your point and it has been noted. But again, I do NOT look for proof this tunic is genuine, NOT in a desire to discuss it, just used it for mere illustration if some one has seen something similar in a period photo. (But pff... I realized this would be the risk ...as always when the non "textbook" items are being shown...).

The Americans did it, the Russians did it so I'm sure there is a good chance ...etc etc

Thank you for your contribution nonetheless.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X