Denim battledress overall blouse KM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denim battledress overall blouse KM?

I wonder if this blouse could have been used by Kriegsmarine u-boot crew during WW II? Is it possible to determine what insignia were placed on shoulder boards? This jacket came to me from Czech Republic as an unknown jacket, probably English since it has buckle with words "will not rust" on it. First it had set of brass buttons.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

British denim battledress blouse. These were commonly worn by Home Guard units but obviously sufficient were in field use and captured for the KM to issue them to U-Boat crews.

Ian

Comment

It is the early style with the pleats, so the proper cut which is the type that the Germans obtained from BEF stocks in France in 1940 and correct for KM use
          BUT even though its the early style, the color is more green like the 2nd unpleated style of the UK army which the KM never obtained/used.
          Personally I only trust these as possible KM types if they are brown...This is a later transitional green one IMO...so no dates visible?

The Germans did copy these of course and made them in green! Not wanting a British color!!!
          So if its green and a German clone you're fine. For early UK captured the color is wrong IMO...
          They are more brown or brownish green, not green-green...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 04-20-2016, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Here's a 1944 dated second pattern (unpleated P40) never used by KM and its the later solid green color...I only trust the earlier brown colored ones for KM impressions,
            but that's just my opinion of course!
            VlissingerFlak posted this one in another thread...found with KM buttons...note its a lot browner...That's the color I prefer to see with captured ones (made in the late 30's...)
            I have seen green UK ones with 1941 dates so they went to a more green shade of color pretty early but still post Dunkirk evacuation! I trust the brown ones more, unless it is
            a German copy, green is fine and makes sense looks less "Tommy"!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 04-20-2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

and here a bogus later green P40 2nd pattern with added KM buttons!!!
              These you definitely want to avoid. Go with the pleated P37 ones and preferably in an earlier browner hue if there is no date if you want to play it safe!

and the next image a good "Green" one, because its a German clone...with distinct differences, no collar brass hooks, pocket flap shape is different,
              no seams above the chest pockets, no slits or buttons on the cuff... provisions for slip on boards...all German traits
              Posted by member Michel earlier on WAF
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 04-20-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Example...
                I just trust the brown ones more for potential KM use, (until somebody can show me a 1937-1940 dated green one
                in the early P37 pattern!), but that is of course just a collectors opinion based on what I have seen. I wasn't there!

Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 04-21-2016, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Thank You very much Ian and Nick! Especially Nick for good lesson. As a matter of fact I needed an original british denim blouse with pleated pockets of early type, which it seems to be. Label is gone and there are no markings except one word or number under the collar on the back. I wanted to be sure that this is not blouse that had been used by U-boot crew. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Some more pictures
                    Attached Files

Comment

One more.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Too bad the label is removed...as that could help date the piece...At least it is the pleated earlier model so appropriate for KM (Not P40) but again I prefer the brown versions,
                        as those are always earlier I believe and a safer bet for KM...especially if the label is missing! But that's just my opinion. Nice item and good shape otherwise!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X