MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal thread cap tallies during wartime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal thread cap tallies during wartime?

Hello,

I am looking into this tally which looks quite promising, but I am concerned because 2. Geleitflottille was formed in the Adriatic during 1944.

During that time they should use only "Krigsmarine" tallies and all others were forbiden to wear, so maybe this is a souvenir piece for the members, or?

This is not my area of expertise so I'd like to hear what others think about it.

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Many tallies still had the unit name throughout the war, it depended on a number of factors, security one of them.

So it was not a hard and fast rule by any means that all units use the "Kriegsmarine" name on the tally.

Remember, the gold wire were private purchase tallies, the cotton (artificial silk) was what was normally issued.

No issue with this tally.

John

Comment

Thanks John.

I was thinking that lase as if 1944 no metal tallies were made any more, but obviously I was wrong.

Comment

There is a lot we do not know about the start and stop dates of the different tallies of that period.

John

Comment

You must have made a little mistake in the date of setting up the 2nd flottilla. I have copied from a German forum, no guarantee on the dates and facts. However, they can't be to far out. They.say.on the 29th of Oct 1938 the first and second flottilla merged.

"2. Geleitflottille
          Aufgestellt am 1.10.1935 in Kiel.

Flottillenchef:
          01.10.1935 - 01.10.1937 KKapt. Lucht (Ernst)
          02.10.1937 - 29.10.1938 KKapt. Weniger (Karl)"

So the tally is easy to explain in this way.

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

Correct !

That's correct.

Dissolved in 1938 than later again founded in March of 1944 (Adria). So this tally is from the time 1935-1938.

Regards
            Christian

Originally posted by Marine HJ View Post
            You must have made a little mistake in the date of setting up the 2nd flottilla. I have copied from a German forum, no guarantee on the dates and facts. However, they can't be to far out. They.say.on the 29th of Oct 1938 the first and second flottilla merged.

"2. Geleitflottille
            Aufgestellt am 1.10.1935 in Kiel.

Flottillenchef:
            01.10.1935 - 01.10.1937 KKapt. Lucht (Ernst)
            02.10.1937 - 29.10.1938 KKapt. Weniger (Karl)"

So the tally is easy to explain in this way.

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

That clears a picture to me.

I only have data for Mediterranean/Adriatic, so was not looking into earlier periods.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X