New Mützenband to the fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mützenband to the fleet

These are duplicates that are making their way to Alaska as we speak.

Unterseebootsflottille Wegener
    Unterseebootschulflottille

Rare in their own rights.
    These don't tend to show up too often.

Regards,
    JustinG

Always looking to trade or purchase the Zerstörer Anton Schmitt and the Unterseebootstender Mosel. I have several rare duplicates. Lets deal!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JustinG; 11-18-2015, 02:02 AM. Reason: photos not attached

Very nice Justin. Do you have all the U-boat flott tallies now?

John

Comment

The second tally can be washed but you need to use the right soap and use the right technique.

Soap would have to come from Germany, Dani can get it for you. If interested, I will send you the procedure. John

Comment

Or send it to me and I will clean it for you. John

Comment

Ha Ha.. Good one. Interesting that there is a way to clean these tallies. Even so, I am very nervous. Adding any element of water or soap, if you can't ensure the soap is entirely removed it could react with the thread or the material and oxidize the thread and discolor.
          I would love to see the technique and see some before and after shots of tallies that have been cleaned.
          Tell me, is there restrictions on the metallfaden versions?

The majority of my tallies are this construction. Probably only 10% are baumwool.

I am just missing the Unterseebootstender Mosel and the full spelled versions of the Unterseebootstender Havel. (I have the abbreviated U=Tender Havel)

That is all of them.

I still am looking for the Anton Schmitt. That one is really important for me. That will complete the Zerstörer fleet. Then I can think about my display and getting them up and displayed properly.

Best Regards,
          JustinG

Comment

Justin, I was serious, I would wash your tally and send it back if you wanted. In any case, you can wash gold wire tallies without much concern but it must be done with special German "bile" soap (Gallseife) using a specific procedure.

In this respect, I know Dani will as a last step to the process iron his tallies but I do not recommend this as not particularly necessary. In addition, Dani has much experience ironing tallies and I do not so do not want to risk putting a burn "sheen" on the tally--a shiny look which indicates the iron was too hot.

I have washed a dozen or so tallies although normally MHJ blue and white tallies and cotton KM tallies but also a few gold wire tallies and this removed years of mishandling post war by little boys with grubby hands and peanut butter and jelly stains or white paste stains. The white paste normally comes off if washed correctly.

First step is right soap and only Dani can obtain it for you.

I will post before and after images when I get a chance.

John
            Last edited by John R.; 11-19-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

That does sound intriguing. I did a search and saw several varieties of gallseife on the market. I will have to get in touch with Dani about the acquisition of the specific type he uses. I am a bit apprehensive, I think I would only try washing the ends without the threaded lettering to start with. The Metal thread still has me a bit concerned. Just the oxidation process, with moisture and possible discoloration/fading. I look forward to seeing your photographs if you have them of pre and post washing.

Thanks so much John!

JustinG

Comment

You must do the entire tally to avoid bleeding. I am sure Dani will come online soon to give his opinions about washing the gold wire types.

The washing of the cotton KM and MHJ tallies has spectacular results.

I do not consider this the same as polishing a badge though or dagger or anything else--all up to the collector. I would never polish a badge for sure.

Cleaning a tally just removes a lot of dirt and grime as opposed to patina on a metal surface. So I am specifically only talking about tallies here, especially cotton thread tallies.

So lets wait for input from Dani.

John

Comment

Hi Chaps,

sorry for the late entry. John was right: I used to wash all my tallies until 2007. Then, with the purchase of our house, I ran out, somehow, of time ...

2 tallies take exactly 30 minutes to wash and iron. Then they have to hang on a cloth hanger for another two days and then a quick iron again. All wrinkles, some of the stains and definately all of the dust gone.

The friend I have this from cleans always with liquid bile soap, I always do it with a solid bar of bile soap. I have washed about 300 to 400 tallies I would estimate. I have messed up with exactly two tallies and only because I have rushed them.

The soap has to be 100% natural, the tally must not be damaged. Extreme care with lighter fuel - this may not work to remove glue stains. I have done several experiments and 90% failed.
                  Ironing is also not a problem as long as you use very very low heat. I use a piece of old cotton bed linen which I put in between the tally and the iron. Only during the last bit the iron comes in direct contact with the tally.

Of course you have to start with cheap tallies to collect a bit of experience. Get a couple of Schiffsstammabteilung or Schiffsstammdivision tallies, can be damaged, and try it out. If someone wants advice, I can submit "my" procedure.

No fear. The result is sometimes absolutely surprising. John is correct, MHJ and cotton thread tallies have the best results.

Rgds

Dani
                  Last edited by Marine HJ; 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM. Reason: typing errors

Comment

Hi Guys,

Nice Tallies Justin. Haven't seen any UBoot Gems around for quite sometime now so nice score.
                    Interesting on washing the tallies, wouldn't have contemplated it really, don't have many to experiment on so John I'll send you my entire collection seeing you're so keen! Lol

Hope all are well!
                    Best Wishes,
                    JustinG

Comment

Oh no, no way. Send me a ticket to Melbourne and I will come with my very own bar of special soap.

I like 5 star hotels also. Not those old railroad train places you have. John

Comment

Lol, I'm in Adelaide mate... Nothing but excellence here!
                        I'm keen to see some before and after shots of the washing procedure.

In regards to the Wegener tally, IMO that's the least seen UBootflottille tally, took me ages to even see mine. Nice stuff! I think they are both duplicates for JustinG?
                        Best
                        JustinC

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post

In regards to the Wegener tally, IMO that's the least seen UBootflottille tally, took me ages to even see mine. Nice stuff! I think they are both duplicates for JustinG?
                          Best
                          JustinC
                          Interesting, I find Lohs and Emsmann the most difficult. Notwithstanding the 1U flott of course
                          Regards, Rob
                          Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Originally posted by Trance_Eyes View Post

Best
                            JustinC
                            Oh, I know where you live Justin!!!! Just trying to get two cities and a train ride out of you. John

Comment

Originally posted by rhudspith View Post
                              Interesting, I find Lohs and Emsmann the most difficult. Notwithstanding the 1U flott of course
                              Here is the rule:

If you are looking for a particular U-boat Flott tally, it is the most difficult to find.

Rule 2:

If you are selling, nobody wants it. If you are buying, it is the rarest tally ever.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X