Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal Artillery officer's breast eagle and collar tabs

Hi Guys,

I'd like to get some opinions on this insignia I just received. I'd been looking for a CA bullion breast eagle for some time to match what my Dad wore in Trieste in 1944, and this one seemed to fit the bill nicely.

Construction looks excellent, although I'm puzzled by the black light testing.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

On black light testing you can see fluorescence of the white threads and the edges of the backing fabric. So what does this mean?
    Is this a post-war eagle, or perhaps just cleaned with a phosphate-containing detergent post-war?

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are the worn collar tabs that came with it. It's hard to see but there's a faded RBN number on the reverse.
      Attached Files

Comment

Once again, the black light shows fluorescence of the white thread. So again, could this just be from post-war laundering?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally the vendor's offering was a grouping that combined the eagle and collar tabs along with these shoulder boards but I didn't get the shoulder boards.
          Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful set of insignia. I love the eagle

Comment

Thanks Kondor.

Anyone have any comments on the black light testing?

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Hello Norm, nice original set. I have seen this black light effect in many embroidered wire insignias, and IMO the fluorescence where the metalic "cover" is missing could be by the material used as base, if it would be because of laundering, why only shine in these parts?
                Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Originally posted by km-spain View Post
                  Hello Norm, nice original set. I have seen this black light effect in many embroidered wire insignias, and IMO the fluorescence where the metalic "cover" is missing could be by the material used as base, if it would be because of laundering, why only shine in these parts?
                  Thanks Eduardo. Perhaps the structure of the loose cotton fibres causes them to take up and retain the phosphates from the detergent while the metallic winding and the wool does not. That might also explain why the woven cloth backing is UV positive on the frayed edges but doesn't glow in the intact tightly woven areas. I'm speculating of course but it seems a reasonable theory.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

Hi Norm F

The eagle is beautiful congratulation

Manu

http://atlantikwall44.actifforum.com/
                    German coastal artillery (Küstenartillerie)

Comment

Thanks Manu.

@Eduardo: I think you're right about the core thread under the silver winding on the collar tabs often being UV positive. I checked the unworn collar tabs that I had posted before here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=346413, and under black light the core of the silver thread was again UV positive while the rest was not. I wonder what type of fibre was used for this thread.

In contrast, I think the bit of positivity on the loose threads of the eagle was likely residue from later cleaning.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X