Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Bulkhead Clock Questions

Hello All:

I have a small military timepiece collection and am trying to do a bit of research on the standard issue 20 cm KM ship bulkhead clock that were manufactured by the firms Kieninger and Obergfell (now KUNDO) as well as Junghans. I am hoping that this thread will serve as an accurate information source on this subject.

I recently acquired a very nice brass case, unmolested dial and winding key but missing the movement, aluminum mounting plate that attaches the movement to the dial and the three hands. I am posting a listing on the E-Stand WANTED message board to try to find these items.

From what I understand they were originally painted black but many of them were stripped down to their brass base and polished regularly as part of the ship/U-Boat's housekeeping functions. Is this accurate or were some of them supplied painted black and others not?

From what I have been reading there were three variants of the Hoheitsabzeichen (eagle and swastika logo). Can someone tell us or illustrate the differences between the variants and any possible correlation to serial numbers and manufacturer?

Is there anyway to tell who the manufacturer was without removing the clock movement from the case?

There is a number stamped on the back of the case. The last two digits are stamped on the lock and hinge. Is this supposed to correspond withnthenserial number on the movement?

Any idea on how many of these clocks were manufactured and if there are variants?

I know that 'N' under the serial number indicates "Nordsee" fleet. What other markings are there that indicate other assignments?

I also understand there are counterfeits reworked/altered pieces and "reproductions". Any advice and hints/tips on how to detect these?

Finally, in the situation of a clock with a brass case, does polishing it decrease its' value?

Thanks in advance for any information and pearls of wisdom on these fine clocks that you may have to offer.

Best regards,

Michael

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
X