Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM 'Donald Duck' cap for review

Hello there,

I recently bought this cap for quite a decent price. It all looks geniune to me, but I would still like some thoughts on it.
    Things like the eagle beeing placed quite crooked, was it re-attached? Same for the tally, the stitching looks way newer then the tally itself.

And is this cap private purchase?

Thank you for your time!

Looks good to me and yes, privat purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by steiner99 View Post
      Looks good to me and yes, privat purchase.
      Hi,
      Good for me too. But steiner why it is a private cap for you?For me it is a tellermütze of subsidy. He is removable and possesses no marking of privat taillor.
      Last edited by captain cookies; 08-25-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

So far I like the cap even if it was put together later. The parts all look period.

The red name tag inside is what I personally like to see.

Of course the tally is not threaded correctly but could you take the tally off and take better shots of the sides and back of the cap so we can see if there are retaining threads there?

John

Comment

Thank you all for the comments, glad to hear I'm in the safe zone!

I'll try to lift the tally to see whats behind it, photos will be posted soon!

Comment

Oh, I see the tally is sewn into the frame. No idea why that would be and definitely not regulation.

So I am not sure what is going on with the cap now.

Problems at this point:

1. I do not see the retaining threads on the side or the back.

2. Tally sewn into the frame, which is very unusual

3. Tally not threaded/knotted correctly at the back

Just make sure you do not pay that much for this one IMO

John

Comment

Does not make the cap not period, it is just not what you would expect.

Just untie the tally Julian and post an image of the back with the tally hanging down so we can take a look at the threads on the back.

Here is an image of what you will need to do to make it correct but first, lets see what kind of threads still exist on the back of the cap.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello John,
                what is the support under your tellermütze?
                Thx

Comment

Well... it looks a little messed up from here..
                  The ends of the tally on the back are sewn together, but messy.
                  There are definetly markings of previous stiches. Also the vertical seam doesn't form a straight line like yours.

Also, I find the interior suspicous. I mean, that's a plastic band holding the shape of the cap together.

I checked the stiches with UV light, they don't light up

But I can't imagine anyone re-sewing a tally to a cap, choose a damaged tally like this and doing a horrible job sewing it

Sorry for the weird positions of the photo's, couldn't seem to fix it...

Comment

Originally posted by captain cookies View Post
                    Hello John,
                    what is the support under your tellermütze?
                    Thx
                    Hah, hah. That is just a plastic storage bowl that is turned upside down that happened to fit inside the tellermutze.

This is how I normally support my caps. The wooden hat frames are sold by member Skipper Greenwade here:

http://www.skippergreenwade.com/HEADGEAR-DISPLAYS.html

I have around 20 of these from him and they work great. I will post some examples later.

John
                    Last edited by John R.; 08-28-2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I cannot post too much right now but the cap looks fine and the tally is fine IMO. I think somebody simply tried to sew the tally to the cap and that is wrong.

I would not worry about it if the price was right. More later.

John

Comment

This is how I usually support my caps/hats/visors. Internal wooden expandable form with a detachable support. All from Skipper.

The one cap does not have the top on to demonstrate the internal form.

John
                        Attached Files

Comment

But I can't imagine anyone re-sewing a tally to a cap, choose a damaged tally like this and doing a horrible job sewing it
                          They did though. I would not worry about it. It looks like the side support threads (one on each side) are still there but the threads on the back (four, one vertical and one diagonal on each side of the back seam) are not. So if you removed the thread you could not keep the tally in place.

I would leave it alone, I think it is a period cap and tally, who knows why somebody sewed it like that at this point. Not particularly important.

John

Comment

The internal support frame keeps the shape of the cap perfectly. Skipper makes these in a couple different sizes or at least did for me. Let him know what you need and he can provide it. In the case of the MHJ, some of the caps are very small for a younger boy but others are fairly large, what you would expect for a 17 or 18 year old young man.

The support is removable so the caps can lay flat with just the internal support inside if you wish. I do it both ways due to space issues.
                            Last edited by John R.; 08-28-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

And a similar internally sewn red name tag on a KM cap. John
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X