MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine personal box (or ditty box)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also a lock is included in the predefined content list of the Putzkasten. !!

( When I have a little time, I'll make a new thread , which will discribes the official version and rules for this box ... so there is no confusion with this presentation thread )

Wait a litttle bit...

Regards

Tom 32

Comment

Finally I have seen a photo of these boxes with a lock on it. In fact, three boxes in a row on top of a locker all with locks.

John
      Last edited by John R.; 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Here is the photo, I have blackened parts of the photo, but otherwise you can clearly see the locks. John
        Attached Files

Comment

Courtesy webstore "Pirates Lair".
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            Courtesy webstore "Pirates Lair".
            Wow, great photo.

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

All the photos of the US Navy porcelain came from the "Pirate's Lair" and I have bought from that dealer a few items over the years. Nice site for this type of material.

John

Comment

Here's an interesting photo from eBay of crew members sleeping on Panzerschiff Deutschland during the Spanish civil war. You can see the personal box with lock on the lower right, propping up his "pillow". Looks like there some kind of small lockers with air holes behind them?

I remember my Dad's recollections from the same era on the Panzerschiff Admiral Graf Spee on Mediterranean patrols; there were way more personnel than accommodations on the ship so they slept with their kits in rows on deck or hallways below deck, wherever they could fit.

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Norm F; 04-02-2016, 09:05 AM.

Comment

As an aside, you can also see the division stripes on that sailor's right arm. The division stripes for deck seamen were on the right arm for the starboard divisions (Steuerbordwache-Division 1, 3 and 5) and the left arm for the port divisions (Backbordwache-Division 2, 4 and 6), so two stripes on the right arm designates Steuerbordwache 3. Division.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Norm F; 04-02-2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Excellent photos Norm. Love these Graf Spee shots. John

Comment

Hi,
                      sorry if I answer on an old post but thanks. Thanks for these informations and these pictures. It os a pleasure to hear your side.
                      XC

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                        The French author is correct in the respect that all items of a sailor were pretty much "personal" in nature. The box did not belong to any other sailor is what I am saying.

I have a hard time believing that the German Navy issued a special wooden box for personal items such as stationary, pens and pencils, money, etc.

That a sailor converted such a well made box into a personal effects box is no surprise though since that is what anybody would have done.

Jak told me that these boxes were not locked aboard ship even though they could be locked. He stated that it was a matter of honor and trust among shipmates that their personal effects were safe and perhaps that was true in the German Navy. In the US navy, I guarantee the box would have been locked.

John
                        Hi ,what is the French book called ,thanks Will

Comment

Hi,
                          It is <<U-boote! Saint-Nazaire>> by Luc Brauer.
                          XC

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by captain cookies View Post
                            hi,
                            it is <<u-boote! Saint-nazaire>> by luc brauer.
                            Xc
                            thanks will

Comment

Utensilienkiste Kriegsmarine

[ATTACH]3619537[/ATTACH]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X