Scharnhorst cap tally help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
    I also do not like, for now, the tally, but it does not look like a Belfast fake to me due to the little gold dots on the back of the tally. Those normally are found on more common fakes than Belfast which has a far more convincing thread style on the reverse.
    Good point, I didn't notice the picture showing the reverse of the "r" in Scharnhorst -- definitely a different fake than the HMS Belfast gift shop reproduction.

Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

thank you again thats what my dad was thinking that maybe the sailor was just remembering that event in his life

Comment

Originally posted by iron cross 2 View Post
        thank you again thats what my dad was thinking that maybe the sailor was just remembering that event in his life
        Does not explain the sleeve rank patch though. Maybe he got it from a Scharnhorst sailor.

John

Comment

But it ended up in a local auction in Slovenia?

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Does not matter where it is at now, I think the value of the articles equals the value of the Ă„rmelabzeichen Hauptgefreiter, around 25 euros maybe.

As a general rule, we determine value on the sum of the articles, not a story, unless the story is very good with pretty solid provenance.

So a U-boat badge and a U-boat frontspange supposedly belonging to a U-boat sailor without much provenance is equal to the value of each of those items combined.

My opinion anyway.

John

Comment

i live in the uk at the minute yes john I see where you are coming from dont buy the story but buy the item to what its worth

Comment

Originally posted by iron cross 2 View Post
                i live in the uk at the minute yes john I see where you are coming from dont buy the story but buy the item to what its worth
                Yes, but on the other hand, no matter how much collectors might say they do not like stories, they usually do in practice since most would like to think their artifact had a human connection. This has lead to a great deal of fraud over the years along with the good so the general idea is to not pay too much for items with stories.

I have quite a few items that came along with stories too and I like to believe them even if it would be a hard sell on purely factual evidence.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X