Km insignia fakes or not

Hi guys,
    Here 2 insignias of KM.
    ARe they fakes or not!
    Many thanks for your help...

other face ;

Comment

Hello,

These pieces of insignia are very debateable. Some collectors say Good others say bad. They do not glow, They pass the burn test. The front is a good design.

On the other hand they have the saw tooth pattern above the fold line on the reverse above the wing. This is usually a sign of a reproduction. These threads are twisted which is a sign of original manufacture. So far the collector community has not seen a reproduction with twisted threads like the original manufacture.

Johnny vd Heijden, RIP, a long time BeVo eagle collector believed these to be original manufacture. I am on the fence, or undecided, about them.

Best regards,
      Fred

Comment

Hi Fred,

It's always a pleasure to have your expertise on the KM forum.

I get the impression that most cloth insignia, since it's so plentiful and cheap, gets insufficient scrutiny. Expensive cloth pieces are generally carefully vetted and judgement often reserved unless there are good examples with provenance in German vets' estates, photographs in wear, etc. But often a simple unworn eagle will simply get a "looks good!" comment without further analysis.

It seems to me that reams of unworn uncut Bevo eagles are a) common and b) easy to churn out with today's technology, so any expertise on these is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

(uploading korsika's photos from the host server so they're not lost later)
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Green View Post
            On the other hand they have the saw tooth pattern above the fold line on the reverse above the wing. This is usually a sign of a reproduction.
            Hi Fred,

I presume this is the saw tooth pattern of which you speak?

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello Norm,

Yes that is the sawtooth pattern. If you look closely at the threads, they have a twist to them. Original BeVo insignia, eagles at leas, have this twist in the construction. I believe it has to do with how the loom worked. I have not seen a reproduction eagle replicate this twist.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Green View Post
                If you look closely at the threads, they have a twist to them. Original BeVo insignia, eagles at least, have this twist in the construction. I believe it has to do with how the loom worked. I have not seen a reproduction eagle replicate this twist.
                Hi Fred,

The resolution of these photos is limited for demonstrating the twist in the construction but I defer to your experience with these. On this comparison the thread seems shinier and less "twisty" than the original one from Johnny's old posting?

Best regards,
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

The dark green eagle is a classical original one , seen many times around for
                  years .
                  The blue one : i always had doubts ...
                  Nick

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
                    The dark green eagle is a classical original one , seen many times around for
                    years .
                    The blue one : i always had doubts ...
                    Nick
                    Hi Nick,

Which "dark green eagle" are you referring to? The one posted by korsika and attached in post #4, or the original from Johnny's old post that I used in the comparison in post #8?

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

The one posted by Korsika !
                      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
                        The one posted by Korsika !
                        Nick
                        Thanks Nick. So you're saying this one here is in your opinion a "classical original one". Is that determination based upon the structure and materials, or have you seen convincing worn examples of this type on tunics or with provenance?

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

Provenance and worn on caps also .
                          You can observe them for decades in France , a stock of them was found in
                          movie stocks among many other original bevo badges like WH M43 cap Triangles for example .
                          Nick

Comment

Hi guys,
                            If i understand my 2 insignias are good WW2????
                            Or not???
                            Thanks for your opinion!
                            SG

Comment

Hello,

I agree with Nick on this one. I like the green one and believe that it is an original. The Blue one I do not care for. The threads on the back look straight, the construction is not typical and the front design is lacking.

Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X