Herman the German

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herman the German

Browsing through some E-bay photos brought back some memories to mind to include an ensuing web research

Being the 3rd generation from Los Angeles Harbor, CA. which encompassed Long Beach. I was born and raised a few blocks from the water front/beach so this crane was a daily sight domineering the port sky line.

My Father and Grandfather both were retired ILWU local 13 longshoremen with many other relatives as well or Seamen. Gowing up my Father would occasionally relate to me the story of this German crane as in this link:http://portoflongbeach.blogspot.com/...an-german.html

3 of these ship yard cranes were seized by the allies at the end of WWII. 1 each to the USA, UK, and USSR, Not remarked but the crane destined for the British sank while towing enroute to the UK as my Father has always told me. The Russians did get theirs back to the Motherland but were unable to reassemble as commented in the remarks of the link

Does anyone know what German port(s) these were from? My Father said also they were capable of lifting U-Boats. Any other aspects of information (did the UK one really sink?) would be welcomed as this was a part of my family life. Thanks fo looking

-Ray-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by -Ray-; 11-23-2014, 06:18 PM.

With the Spruce Goose.

My brother was a Merchant Seaman deck hand on the tow boat(s) maneuvering the Spruce goose here.

-Ray-
    Attached Files

Comment

I watched Herman in action often working the big jobs at Naval Shipyard Long Beach, especially when the battleships were recommissioned.

I think Herman was originally constructed to lift battleship turrets.

Herman is now "Titan" and still going strong in Panama.

I also know that when Herman was taken apart and shipped to Long Beach after the war, nobody could put it together so a team on German shipyard workers were sent over to reassemble it.

John

Comment

Your link says it was towed, I wonder if it was partially disassembled before the tow?

John

Comment

At least one in Kiel

Looks like one at Kiel by sunk cruiser Admiral Scheer.(photos from web, not mine)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X