BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the tab for on these Vizeadmiral shoulderboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the tab for on these Vizeadmiral shoulderboards?

Can someone please tell me what the tab is for under the shoulderboard?

Thanks
    Attached Files

It's purpose is designed securing the large dress epaulettes when required.
    Some sources says it denotes retired personnel, but it's for full dress epaulettes.

Comment

I only see these limited to basically Frock coats. Not sure if worn with reefers but sure there would be photographic evidence, but here's your answer http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=263090

-Ray-
      Last edited by -Ray-; 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

These brittles (that's the right term) were used exclusively on frock coats, as only with frock coat full dress epaulettes were used.

Comment

Another similar board/ frock coat from my collection for example. The light blue denotes Beampte personnel.

-Ray-
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is mine.
            Now it has large dress epaulettes, but strangely they cannot be buttoned if passed throught the brittles, so I just put them on top and buttoned. Brittles are left bellow.
            Attached Files

Comment

It's the second one from the right.
              Attached Files

Comment

Crazy outstanding frock's!!!

-Ray-

Comment

Left to right: Italian, French WW1, 3rd Reich, Austro-Hungarian. Here is the other side of the room, but you can see much more here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=629639
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you gentlemen for the answer to my question. And thank you for sharing pictures of some wonderful examples in your collections.

This example in my collection is indeed on a frock coat. However it is definitely not only for retired personnel, as I have seen several pictures of these being worn by active duty personnel, including Admiral Raeder.

Comment

reserve officers

Hi.
                      the item in question here is indeed only for the epaulettes to hold them. The german expression is "passanten"
                      Angolia describes the "passanten" for reserve officers as double row of silver in a distance of .5 cm.
                      There is no way to mix it up.

Here a pic of my epaulettes on a frock coat of Kaleu (Ing) Fuchslocher.

Regards
                      Christian
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the photo of what I have mentioned earlier.
                        My epaulettes thong cannot reach the button screw when passed through brittles.
                        I got it with pass-through shoulderboards, so when I wanted to replace with these it was everything but easy ;-).

I don't want to mess with it, so I just screw the button and place the epaulettes above the brittles.

I doubt these epaulettes would reach button screws on any size of the frock coat, as the thongs are really short. Only thing I am thinking of is the possibility that one the frock coat for which these eapulettes were intended there were two holes for the button screw.

In that case screw shouldn't have addtional piece of cloth above, and shouldn't be fixed but removable.

Has anybody seen something like that before?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                          Same for mine, tongue is to short to reach the srew-in button hole. I wonder if those came in different length?

Comment

Ray is the medal bar original to your frock coat, or something you added? The only reason I ask, is if it is original, I am wondering if it is draped over a ribbon bar underneath?

My admiral's tunic has an extra row of loops above the ribbon bar (which is sewn to the coat). I am wondering if he would have just attached his medal bar there for special occasions, and let it drape over the ribbon bar.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                              Ray is the medal bar original to your frock coat, or something you added? The only reason I ask, is if it is original, I am wondering if it is draped over a ribbon bar underneath?

My admiral's tunic has an extra row of loops above the ribbon bar (which is sewn to the coat). I am wondering if he would have just attached his medal bar there for special occasions, and let it drape over the ribbon bar.
                              Just a removable single strand of thread on 3 different points for the photo shoot without damage or cosmetic telltale indications to the fabric of ever being there.

-Ray-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X