Photo of two women in the Kriegsmarine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo of two women in the Kriegsmarine

I'd appreciate information on these two women(sisters?). Is the flag on the one communications related? Are these their uniforms or uniforms of male relations or friends? Would the footwear be a clue? Thanks everyone!

Here is the reverse of the photo but I can't decipher the text.

I found this photo on the net and do the shoes look to be the same as the shoes worn by the women in my photo?
    Last edited by BlackWatch1; 10-30-2014, 06:49 PM.

They appear to be wearing standard male uniforms. I don't believe they are KM Helferinnen. jim

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
      They appear to be wearing standard male uniforms. I don't believe they are KM Helferinnen. jim
      Agree, a quite common practice for the camera. The flag may be for high HQ's staff which is not often seen.

Text: "With my sister in law Raci __ in (location?)"

-Ray-
      Last edited by -Ray-; 10-30-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Was this taken in Schneidemuhl, Germany(now Poland)? Sister in laws? Trying to translate the writing on the reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackWatch1 View Post
          Was this taken in Schneidemuhl, Germany(now Poland)? Sister in laws? Trying to translate the writing on the reverse.
          My wife is German, but that was the best she could decipher of this chicken scratch. Location sounds about right though.

-Ray-

Comment

Not uncommon type of photo. My opinion is that two female relatives are wearing the uniform of a husband or boyfriend.

John

Comment

All I can make out is "meine schwagerin"...in Schneidermuhl. ..

As mentioned = "my sister-in-law...in Schneidermuhl"

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                Not uncommon type of photo. My opinion is that two female relatives are wearing the uniform of a husband or boyfriend.

John
                Yes that is exactly what we are seeing here...very common...girls in panzer wrappers even etc...nothing to do with female service...civilians dressing up for their relatives, boy friends etc...

The KM garments shared by 2 women for this pose are all from the same male sailor no doubt...

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
                  Yes that is exactly what we are seeing here...very common...girls in panzer wrappers even etc...nothing to do with female service...civilians dressing up for their relatives, boy friends etc...

The KM garments shared by 2 women for this pose are all from the same male sailor no doubt...
                  Agree once again, all too common very much.

-Ray-

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input on this photo. I've learned a lot on this forum!

Comment

Actually I have seen photos of women and kids doing this from darn near every country. In some of our family albums there are pics of my aunts sporting my uncles' uniforms or caps when they were home on leave during WW II. I've even seen some from the American Civil War. Interestingly I have had more than one female looking at my collection room and putting on a helmet or other head gear or slipping on a tunic and striking a pose. I think it is something in that other X chromosome. And the ones that want to put on an SS tunic are later usually the ones that are the most...er, I better stop there.
                      JAndrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X