JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer Tunic breast eagle for my wife... Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe this is a very nice and good one, however I always like to be sure. Picked this up at the St.Paul show yesterday.

Thanks for looking!
    -Brian

A good one !
    Nick

Comment

Thank you sir! I thought it was good but I don't have a Heer or Luft of my own to compare.

Is there a way to tell the manufacturer or what it's made from? It's non-magnetic but doesn't seem like Zinc... Aluminum maybe? CuPAL? Seems like copper showing through on the front.

Thanks,
      -Brian

Comment

Not alu but a metal like copper+something ?
        Look at the metal colour coming out .
        Nick

Comment

Here is a shot of the side... You can see white metal where something has dinged the side but almost a layer of copper on top?
          Isn't that how CuPAL is made?

Thanks,
          -Brian

Comment

Cupal is made of aluminium covered with copper .
            If your eagle is made of aluminium under the copper , that's it !
            Nick

Comment

Seems like it to me?
              I have no experience with CuPAL items.

I don't know how I would tell it's aluminum, but it's silver in color and non-magnetic.

-Brian

Comment

Wow if this is CuPAL I may have been given a smoking deal!

Comment

Yes Brian its cupal, as the vast majority of this makers' birds are (all the ones with oval plates behind the hinge and catch). Nice "gold" specimen with the typical dark coppery toning which I have always found kind of weird considering how well the silver finish holds up on their silver specimens. This maker also produced a tombac (or brass... hard to say but it heavier and has no oval plates under the hardware) version which holds the gold finish a lot better

Attached is a pict of my gold and silver cupal set like yours and a tombac (or brass) gold specimen by the same maker.

Best regards

JC
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you JC for the explanation and pic. Is the maker known?

Did other makers use zinc and other materials?

-Brian

Comment

Hi Brian

There are lots of variations and most of these birdies are unmarked (except for Schwerin, Maedicke, Rudolph Karnet and some Assmann that I am aware of) so makers are unknown even though in some cases the hardware used looks similar to hardware found on marked decorations/badges which could be a clue/hint but you cant really take that to the bank. In this particular instance I recall a dealer write up describing your bird as a "POSSIBLE" FLL product but other than the "sideway" hinge which is found on FLL flight badges (but used by other makers as well) its just a guess IMO.

As for metals, I know yours was produced in tombac (or brass) cupal and aluminum (cloth mounted). Generally speaking these birds follow the metals' time line of the Third Reich (Tombac/brass, nickel, cupal, aluminum, alloys and zink) and some variants of the same bird come in different metals. There is also a great variety of designs ranging from beautiful to downright homely but this is very subjective

I'm a fan of these birds so I have accumulated a few. Here are 2 of my favorites... Picture 1: Type 1 (for lack of a better name: another unknown maker...) in hollow stamped fire gilded tombac at top and gilded cupal below. Picture 2: Schwerin, in gold anodized solid back aluminum

Hope this helps

Take care

JC
                      Attached Files

Comment

Again, thanks for the detailed explanation and those are beautiful birds, JC!

-Brian

Comment

duplicate

Comment

My wife want to buy watch! I must show her this post...Maybe she will change mind, it's cheaper for me

Comment

Haha.... Probably not cheaper in the long run! The watch will cost less than a full collection.

-Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X