X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The writing is on the backside of the pic on the left side
    Attached Files

Comment

a few more pics and some other items from the soldier.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Andre,
        yes, a nice lot.
        I hope you could negotiate him down....
        Anyway, its a very nice estate group and especially linked to your country history.
        You have his name, birthdate, picture...thats already a lot of information.
        Also the writings on the pictures gives some dates.

The writing says" 11. die ... "tripitz" besucht den Ehrenfriedhof..... 11. the ... "tripitz: is visiting the cemetery of honor"

Regards
        Christian
        Last edited by compressore; 09-26-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Christian.

Thank you for your kind words.

yes I do have all the data I need to find out more about this person. I really love this group since it has so much history linked to my country. I'm trying to focus more on the KM and KA from Norway, but it is not easy to find items that are available.

Best regards,
          André

Comment

A very nice grouping. The Polar document is very impressive.
            Thanks for sharing and hope you are able to obtain this grouping.

Best Regards,
            JustinG

Comment

Interesting photo of the sailors studying. They clearly are involved with fairly sophisticated mathematics and one is using a slide rule.

A slide rule is a tricky devil, so it reflects the level of intelligence required to operate a great battleship like Tirpitz.

I cannot think of what they are doing even after looking at the chalk board. Perhaps a ballistics problem.

John

Comment

Amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing.
                Best regards,
                XC

Comment

Great complete grouping, well done.

He didn't die whilst with Tirpitz so either got transferred off before she was sunk (most likely) or survived the sinking.
                  Last edited by Simon O.; 09-30-2014, 01:41 PM.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

parhaps these are items found when they broke up the wreck?

Comment

No, more likely someone who left the ship prior to the sinking.
                      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I got this lot from Germany so I think it is as Simon O. says: it's most likely someone who left the ship prior to the sinking and not items found when they broke up the wreck. I have checked the list of the people that died under the attack and he is not listed there (not sure if the list is complete).

Comment

I believe that when the Tirpitz was laid up at Tromsø at the end of october 44 as a floating battery, part of her crew left the ship as they were no longer needed.

Comment

Yes Simon, I've heard that as well, about 500 of her crew i believe it was.. cant say 100% for sure.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X