Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admiral Scheer artifacts

Hello all!

I am new to this forum, but I have read a number of posts on here over the years and am always impressed by the level of knowledge and interest of the members here.

Anyway, my grandfather (father's side) served in the Kriegsmarine, and saw numerous roles during that time, including being a Biber pilot right at the end of the war, and being on the Admiral Scheer in 1940. From what my dad remembers, this was his most enjoyable time (it has to have been more fun than being in a Biber, from where a "rowboat looked like a battleship", in my grandfather's words!).

We do not have many artifacts from his time in the Kriegsmarine; a number of his personal items were stolen a good number of years back by scum who broke into his house . Thus, I was hoping to collect some small items that are known to have, or could very well have, come from the Scheer: I am thinking of things like cutlery, tablewear, maybe even clocks, etc. The problem is I am not well-versed in WWII memorabilia, especially when it comes to things like what styles of dishes, cutlery, etc. would come from a surface ship (~ 1940) vs. what may have been used on U-boats or on land, for example. I know that Kriegsmarine items are typically marked with the "M", but that's about it.

I believe that, by war's end, he was at least a Matrosenhauptgefreiter; I'll post a picture later of him in uniform, and his markings seem to suggest this. Thus, he wasn't an officer, and I know that there are marking differences in things like tableware that are different for officers vs. regular seamen. Details like that would be important to me.

If anyone can give me any guidance on this matter, I would be most appreciative!

Personal files

Hi,
    do you have personal files from him where he served during the war ?
    If not, you can contact the WASt. They do have most of the files archived.
    http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm

This would be than a good source to follow his career.
    Based on this, more reseach can be done than on the several posts he had, where he was based, whats was was the duty of the units and so on.
    Than you can look specificly if you find items with connections to those units.

For the Scheer, I would look for original photographs. From time to time, complete albums shows up from members served on this ship.
    For small items like dishes, cuttlery etc. it may be hard to track them down to be used on this partucular ship.

Happy research !

Best regards
    Christian

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I'll have to look into that WASt service!

Indeed, I can appreciate that particular Scheer articles would be hard to identify; do you know of the various cutlery and tableware setting differences, though? Officer vs. seaman, when aluminum might have been used instead of steel, etc.?

Comment

Congratulations, you have a piece of family history that you can research and try to go more in-depth and discover some amazing facts and records about your relative and their war-time career.

As you see in many of the threads dealing with originality questions, there is a market for quality period items and thus, a huge market for post war out right forgeries. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Best of luck with your collecting and family discovery.

Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X