U-boat enlisted overseas cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-boat enlisted overseas cap

I am working on purchasing a Kriegsmarine collection from an estate and I wanted to see what your thoughts are on the authenticity of these? Based on my knowledge the caps themselves look good. I am not that familiar with the U-boat badges as much and any opinions would be very helpful.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

More pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

Last
        Attached Files

Comment

Honestly Last ones
          Attached Files

Comment

Kevin,
            To me they look good but to me these uboat emblems are a minefield (no pun intended). They are typically hand made and are often on the crude side so it is not that difficult for a faker to reproduce. But being sewn on a cap I would look at the threads holding them on and try to lift them a bit and see if the areas they cover show a lack of fading. The problem there is that if these were put on in, say, the 1960's they have about 60 years of fading!
            JAndrew

Comment

Hello,
              I'm agree with Jandrew, always very difficult to see an original than a fake because very easy to make... but I think that the u-boot flottille badge ( 2eme u-Boot Flottille LORIENT ) on the white cap is good, the others are not U-boot Flottille badge but U-boot crew badge, i like also the 7 with bottle but the picture is not very clean... for the two others ??? the Drakkar was copied many time..but the faker forget to put the 2 or 3 holes !
              In my collect I have only 2 u-boat crew badge, 100% original because it's a veteran of u-471 who given them to me in year 1985...
              I will try to find some others informations for you
              best regards
              Hervé

Comment

You can never know 100% for sure with these but they look good to me. I like the fact that the 777 boat is in there since that was a training boat. You see this one a lot due to the large number of men that would have served in her during training.

I think you you should believe in what you have.

John

Comment

The caps are goods no doubt, hermann is a well know maker of KM side caps

So I have a good feeling with the insignas

Comment

IMO everything looks good, but, as said before, those, many times more or less hand made badges, can be very difficult to classify.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X