pre war DEUTSCHLAND CRUISE ITEMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre war DEUTSCHLAND CRUISE ITEMS

found this cup, pocket knife, and cap tally for the cruise line ship DEUTSCHLAND.
    maker logo found on blade s well as the china maker on the base of the cup. did this ship go onto war time service and if so, what was its fate?
    what kind of value could be given to this grouping, its not really military, but still a neat pre war look at ship named deutschland.
    Attached Files

pre war deutschland group

more pics
    Attached Files

Comment

other views
      Attached Files

Comment

last view of bottom of cup
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I think this is the ship - Steam ship Deutschland.

And here is the information regarding it....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Deutschland_(1923))

Basically sunk by British Air attack and later scrapped for scrap metal.

Cheers
          JustinC

Btw - nice items

Comment

Hi,

this is a brilliant little lot. My honest congratulations! Nowadays finds like these 3 items, which were most probably purchased on board all together at the same time, all belonging together, are very rare.
            A couple, which went on a cruise for holidays in Europe or the US, mostly bought something in the ship's souvenir shop. The rare thing is, that it all stayed together of the years!

By the way, the very first white Deutschland tally I ever came across. The black is much more common, although also rare enough.

Rgds

Daniel

Comment

Prewar Deutschland

Thanks for the information ! Yes, all three items were found together, and as the story was told to me by the relative of the original owners, a cruise was taken by the couple before the war and these had been in a suitcase along with travel photos and tour guide books. Lucky for me they had been kept in nice condition as the cap tally was rolled up neatly inside the cup!

Comment

Very nice grouping. Thanks for sharing.
                Regards,
                JustinG

Comment

Concur, nice to see them well preserved and still together! Great tally.

Hank
                  Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                  ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

That is a nice grouping. I have never seen the Deutschland in white either and in any color it is rare IMO.

John

Comment

In addition to the tally, the other items are quite unique to find today. Now, do you know why there is a "D" in front of the name?

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                        In addition to the tally, the other items are quite unique to find today. Now, do you know why there is a "D" in front of the name?

John
                        No idea! What does it represent? Thanks ,,mike

Comment

Dampfschiff or Dampfer

Comment

JOhn is exactly right there: Dampfschiff, equivalent to the "S.S. [...]" on British/US merchant navy tallies for "Steam ship". Meaning all propulsion and electricity was generated by steam turbines.

And to carry on with education:

M.S. ... Motorschiff (propulsion and electricity by a combustion engine, electricity can be done by a shaft generator and/or auxilery diesel engine)

E.S. ... Elektroschiff (electricity for propulsion and 'domestic' consumers by (diesel-)generators - all propulsion was driven by electric motors. This invloved quite a bit more equipment to be maintained and a little squad of Electricians to be employed.
                            However, on Motorships with their fixed pitch propellers the gearbox was extremely important with all the common control & start air problems ... and steamships being rather uneconomical ... the Elektroschiff was a jump into a new age of propulsion: no shaft anymore, the naval architect could place engine room(s) and propulsion wherever he wanted - all what it needed were a couple of transformer rooms and a LOT of cables.

I'm not sure right now whether the Robert Ley was the first large ship run by the diesel-electric propulsion idea or whether there were some other large (floating) experiments before that.

... anyway: I'm a deckie and not a ginger-beard ... for me the nautical side is more appelling - the "we destroy it, you fix it" mentality of some of my fellow deck officers is quite ashaming. And: which Chief Engineer had the guts to tell a Captain that he's not skilled enough in ship handling because after every single manoeuvre he blew an engine or broke something ...

Dani

Comment

Originally posted by Marine HJ View Post
                              JOhn is exactly right there: Dampfschiff, equivalent to the "S.S. [...]" on British/US merchant navy tallies for "Steam ship". Meaning all propulsion and electricity was generated by steam turbines.

And to carry on with education:

M.S. ... Motorschiff (propulsion and electricity by a combustion engine, electricity can be done by a shaft generator and/or auxilery diesel engine)

E.S. ... Elektroschiff (electricity for propulsion and 'domestic' consumers by (diesel-)generators - all propulsion was driven by electric motors. This invloved quite a bit more equipment to be maintained and a little squad of Electricians to be employed.
                              However, on Motorships with their fixed pitch propellers the gearbox was extremely important with all the common control & start air problems ... and steamships being rather uneconomical ... the Elektroschiff was a jump into a new age of propulsion: no shaft anymore, the naval architect could place engine room(s) and propulsion wherever he wanted - all what it needed were a couple of transformer rooms and a LOT of cables.

I'm not sure right now whether the Robert Ley was the first large ship run by the diesel-electric propulsion idea or whether there were some other large (floating) experiments before that.

... anyway: I'm a deckie and not a ginger-beard ... for me the nautical side is more appelling - the "we destroy it, you fix it" mentality of some of my fellow deck officers is quite ashaming. And: which Chief Engineer had the guts to tell a Captain that he's not skilled enough in ship handling because after every single manoeuvre he blew an engine or broke something ...

Dani
                              Great lesson.
                              Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
                              JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X