• Show
Clear All

Help Identifying Kriegsmarine Container by Plath

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone identify this strange Kriegsmarine container?
        Bearing a brass plate marked Kriegsmarine 1942/13345 and with the base marked c. Plath Hamburg 1942, it appears to be very well machine made in stainless steel and no doubt had a strap at some time to secure the lid to the base.
        The lower half contains what appears to be a dried and compacted substance like graphite crystals.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Simon
        Attached Files

Comment

Any thoughts?

Comment

This small container makes me think about the coal miner self rescue apparatus M 20 made by DRAEGER. On June 21, 1981, U.S. coal mine operators were required to
            make available to each underground coal miner a self-contained 1 hour
            self-rescuer. I am surprised to read the C. Plath markings, I didn't know that they were into to rescue equipment? An intresting piece, but not yet observed on KM pictures. No idea if this is original or "upgraded", look forward to comments from fellow KM collectors. M 20 self rescuer DRAEGER escape apparatus postwar.jpg

Comment

DRAEGER was producer of rescue equipment used by firefighters and other professionals (breathing apparatus), so it's possible that they were also involved in other rescue equipment.

Comment

AMIKLIC1 did you ment PLATH? The item presented is made by PLATH, not by DRAEGER.

Comment

Drager still makes rebreathing and filter devices used in anesthesia equipment and diving equipment. They made a lot of the devices that the K-verband used. I suspect the material in the container is soda lime to scavenge carbon monoxide and dioxide. Just a guess but this material is still used for that purpose. Plath made navigation instruments such as compasses and sextants but during the war did go into other areas. Both companies are still in existence so perhaps one could contact them and see if they have any information on this item. Identical items are still being produced under license by other countries as already stated.
                  JAndrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X