Opinions needed on Kriegsmarine Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on Kriegsmarine Clock

I would be grateful for opinions on this Kriegsmarine clock, which I am thinking of purchasing. Price is £1700. This item was purchased by the present owner from a junk shop in Germany in 1957 when he was stationed there whilst in the army. It has been in his possession since this time, and has had no work done to it. I am told that it keeps reasonably good time. He was told by the junk shop proprietor that it came from a U Boat on which he was stationed and which was sunk off the coast of Ireland in deep water, post war I assume. He remembers that the number of the U Boat was 23 something, but cannot recollect the last digit.
    I understand, of course, that this is does not really count as provenance, but I thought that I should mention it.
    I attach some pics.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

some more pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Two more pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

original KM clock!

Comment

Couple more pics.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks glaser,
            What do you think of the price in that condition?
            Thanks,
            Peter.

Comment

I should add that there are no other markings on the back of the clock, and none on the key, which is possibly a replacement.
              Thanks,
              Peter.

Comment

in working condition, best price seen uptill now on dealer sites about 1300 euro

Comment

Even a bit more than that, in fact, but I would set the value to that if it's being sold outside of dealer's network.

Great piece, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by amiklic1 View Post
                    Even a bit more than that, in fact, but I would set the value to that if it's being sold outside of dealer's network.

Great piece, indeed.
                    same opinion, that is also the max for me, but with original black color i accept a higher quote

Comment

Originally posted by berkenkruis View Post
                      same opinion, that is also the max for me, but with original black color i accept a higher quote
                      I was always wandering why many people just stick to that brass polished surface better than original black?
                      Maybe many do not know it's been black ;-)

Comment

Thanks berkenkruis and amiklic1,
                        There is some damage to the face, but I am not particularly concerned about that since it does not detract unduly from the clock. I particularly note that the Fast Slow adjustment is fairly central, indicating, I suppose, that there is plenty of adjustment left, which is different to a another ship's clock that I have, which is not as old, from HMS Vanguard, which goes well but is almost at the extremity of its adjustment.
                        It does appear to be overpriced somewhat though.
                        I am puzzled by the fact that there is no number stamped on the back and there are no numbers on the hinge and lock, which I thought all these clocks had.
                        This I take it is not the case.
                        Thanks,
                        Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by amiklic1 View Post
                          I was always wandering why many people just stick to that brass polished surface better than original black?
                          Maybe many do not know it's been black ;-)
                          you can clearly see that this clock has traces of the original black paint here and there
                          i also prefer black ones
                          strange that there are no markings on backplate and hinge, indeed

Comment

Thanks berkenkruis,
                            I definitely know that there are no numbers on the back, but didn't look at the hinge and lock really carefully, but do not think these were marked either.
                            Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by peterwyndavies View Post
                              Thanks berkenkruis and amiklic1,
                              There is some damage to the face, but I am not particularly concerned about that since it does not detract unduly from the clock. I particularly note that the Fast Slow adjustment is fairly central, indicating, I suppose, that there is plenty of adjustment left, which is different to a another ship's clock that I have, which is not as old, from HMS Vanguard, which goes well but is almost at the extremity of its adjustment.
                              It does appear to be overpriced somewhat though.
                              I am puzzled by the fact that there is no number stamped on the back and there are no numbers on the hinge and lock, which I thought all these clocks had.
                              This I take it is not the case.
                              Thanks,
                              Peter.
                              i have a mint one with the original black finish, it has a number stamped on the back of the case but no numbers stamped on the hinge or lock.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X