No announcement yet.

Another Un-issued Cap Tally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Norm: it is hard to compare the different details in the fonts, very good start do do this.
    There are differences between the official and private purchased tallies, in dead relating to the naval station. Also those woven with artificial silk letter show clear differences.
    I will make pics of the reverse of Marinesanitätsschule this evening, what i see is the same shadow as on the front side.

Regards
    Markus

P.S. I will get about 40 nice tallies next week, who is interested may contact me via PM

Comment

Originally posted by CSForrester View Post
      @Norm: it is hard to compare the different details in the fonts, very good start do do this.
      There are differences between the official and private purchased tallies, in dead relating to the naval station. Also those woven with artificial silk letter show clear differences.
      Hi Markus,

I should have been more specific in my description. The font patterns I distinguished were for the tallies in Metallfaden only -- extended font from Wilhelmshaven (and associated Nordsee Schiffsstammabteilungen) and condensed font from Kiel (and associated Ostsee Schiffsstammabteilungen).

Perhaps most of these were pre-war. My father trained in the 3. Schiffsstammabteilung in Stralsund in 1936, studied at the Marinenachrichtenschule in Flensburg in 1937-38 and served on the Graf Spee in 1937, and all three of those metal thread tallies in his photos were in the condensed font as expected for the Baltic Sea areas. At least in this era, perhaps some day we could correlate the font with the producer?

Best regards,
      ---Norm

Comment

Hello Norm,

i think i understood your intention.
        Both Marinebekleidungsämter had contracts with different producers. That is not unrealistic, and the different type of fonts are a fact.
        I wanted to say, that also the letters from artificial silk show different fonts. May be we can divide them also in north sea/baltic tallies.
        To find out which company produced for which station - i guess we will not find it out, but it is not impossible. I have some names of producers, we will see.
        Here the pic from the reverse of the "ghost"-Wilhelmshaven.

Best wishes
        Markus
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Markus,

Do you have any photos of a 1930's- style Jacquard loom for making tallies or ribbons? The only images I can find are of older looms like this one in the Berlin Technological Museum:
          https://web.duke.edu/isis/gessler/topics/jacquard.htm
          It would be nice to see something closer to the 1930's but I can't find any photos.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Hello Norm,

i dont have any pics of contemporary Jacquard weaving machines. But i have some small problems with the technical terms in english

I will start an inquiry to the Deutsches Textilmuseum Krefeld. I had good experience with this institution in the past, may be they can help us. And perhaps we (me) should contact the company of Neiss, also in Krefeld, which was shure one of the official suppliers for the german navy.
            I only had a smalltalk to a former worker from Neiss, he told me the machines were over 10 meters long and it took to men to lift up the complete cardboard-roll on the machine for a longer unit designation. Tallies with letters from artificial silk could be woven with a factor 10xspeed compared to those from metalthread. They became more and more expensive, and the last tallies with metalthread letters were woven in the 1970s. For private purchase by Bundesmarine-personal.

I will try to collect some informations.....

Best regards
            Markus

Comment

Hi Markus,

Very interesting! Thanks for that.
              Krefeld is certainly closer to Wilhelmshaven than to the Baltic so I wonder if the metallfaden tallies of Neiss used the "Extended Type A" font.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Hello Norm - the distance is not relevant.
                Neiss in Krefeld, ok, some kilometers less to Whaven than to Kiel, but much better railroad-connection via Hamburg to Kiel. To Wilhelmshaven in the 1930s ? Difficult. And the company of Bender in Weissenburg/Bavaria ? Also official supplier of the Kriegsmarine.

You can google both companys until today, they still exist.
                Enter

Neiss label Krefeld

and

Bender Weissenburg

and you will find some interesting informations.

Best regards
                Markus

Comment

..... and only one of some hundred of pages from the Bundesarchiv, it is hmmm... top secret (my friend Bernd will kill me ) but something to have some interesting hours of translation and interpretation.

Best regards
                  Markus
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CSForrester View Post
                    ..... and only one of some hundred of pages from the Bundesarchiv, it is hmmm... top secret (my friend Bernd will kill me
                    Think of it as a "teaser" for your upcoming book!

Best regards,
                    ---Norm

Comment

Very interesting informations are surfacing in this thread.

Comment

Thanks for providing some manufacturer names for these tallies. Really intriguing information being discussed. Looks like you have some really great information collected and lots of good information to share when you and Bernd's book gets published. I can't wait to get a copy.
                        This is worthy of possibly adding to the Pinned/closed thread of naval tallies/Mützenband.

Regards,
                        JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X