Coveralls for one man torpedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coveralls for one man torpedo

I was checking out the Espenlaub Militaria site and ran across these coveralls. The description says they were used by the crews that manned the one man torpedo as well as other purposes. Is that true. Reason I ask is I own a set with the hood. I'm not a KM collector but I do like KM Ground units, one man torpedos and Female auxiliary. So if anyone can confirm they were used by the torpedo crews that would be appreciated. A picture of the coveralls in wear would even be nicer. WR Jim
    Attached Files

couple more
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello, sorry for my poor english.

IMHO, i think it is not the right model

Period photographs i know : no buttons around the neck, front buttons are visible, buttons at sleeves and pockets at the breast level

Sincerely, Benoit

Comment

It's the good model, i have exactly the same one dated 1942.

Period pictures "Kriegsmarinewerft workers" from the book "U-boote! Lorient 40-41" Luc Braeuer

Regards
        Ben

Comment

Nice photos, but out of curiosity what connects these coveralls to one-man subs? Are there photos of crew members wearing them?

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
            Nice photos, but out of curiosity what connects these coveralls to one-man subs? Are there photos of crew members wearing them?

I never had any doubt they were original I was just wondering if there was a connection to the one man subs. Jim

PS The pictures are nice.

Comment

I never see this kind of coverhall with U-boat crew members.

Regards
              Ben

Comment

These overalls were used for several purposes i have some period shots which has been taken by the torpedo-pillbox (Keizerbolwerk Vlissingen).

Comment

Great period photos. I love the caps. With and without insignia!

Comment

Very nice photographs provided Gingerbread.
                    Couldn't ask for better proof.
                    Interesting yours has a date stamp.
                    The example that was earlier shown did not make it clear if it too had a date stamp?

My first thought is that these are coveralls, never with insignia, so time period (Kaiserliche Marine, Reichsmarine, Kriegsmarine, Bundesmarine and/or Volksmarine). I cant think that the design of these coveralls would have changed that much.
                    Without a date stamp, It could be from any period, hence a risky investment. But a really affordable alternative if you have a naked mannequin, a pair of boots/deck shoes and a period cap.

Regards,
                    JustinG

Comment

The one that Espenlaub has was also dated 1942 as is the one I have. I have a hood for it somewhere. Jim
                      Attached Files

Comment

Coverhall

Mine is a 1942 dated one:

A 1942 one from a friend with a nice KM stamp:

Regards
                        Ben

Comment

The drivers of the torpedo boats wore a one piece rubberized suits with elastic bands about the wrists. This I think it just a overall for ship board use but these types of things were worn over rubber suits by divers. They wore special helmets similar to LW flight helmets with clips for an oxygen mask.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                            The drivers of the torpedo boats wore a one piece rubberized suits with elastic bands about the wrists. This I think it just a overall for ship board use but these types of things were worn over rubber suits by divers. They wore special helmets similar to LW flight helmets with clips for an oxygen mask.
                            No these are not not the specialized, coverall used by the Kampfschwimmers IMO. Although the collars are quite similar, this coverall is not rubberized and lacks the watertight closures on the sleeves and ankles. The Combat Diver coveralls were skin tight to facilitate movement in the water. These are simply KM work coveralls. I can find no photographic evidence of wear over the specialized coveralls. Quite a nice minty set though!

For more information on Combat Diver coveralls, see "German Combat Divers in WWII" by M. Jung, Schiffer Military History, 2008 at pp. 40-43. There are also many good period photos in the book.
                            Last edited by Mauser HSc; 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Hello, I look forward seeing some period pictures of one man torpedo sailors wearing these cloth coveralls
                              PS until now I only saw them with leather one part or two part coveralls

for the believers (not me) you can try your luck on ebay
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/330937861849...84.m1438.l2649

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X