German Submarine Tankers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Submarine Tankers

I know this is not the book review forum but this is a fairly specialized book and if others are like me the book review forum is not often visited. So I would like to review this book here.
    Title: Die Versorger der Grauen Wolfe (The Suppliers of the Grey Wolves)
    Author: Axel Urbanke
    Publisher: Luiftfahrtverlag START
    Format: Hardback, 9 1/2 X 11 1/4 horizontal
    Pages: 336

Some may recognize the author and publisher from the excellent "U-Boot im Focus" series which was put on hold while they finished this book.

This is a well presented and written book that covers the 10 "milk cow" supply submarines of the Kriegsmarine during WW II. The text and photo captions are in both German and English. It covers the complete histories of each boat and is well illustrated with black and white and a few color period photos, color maps and color photos of some of the ship's artifacts. It also has a complete index and comes with a CD that compiles the war records of the boats. The only down side is that the CD appears to be all in German but I think all the information can be found in the text.

The book is an interesting and easy read and as far as I know the most comprehensive source for this subject matter. It is not cheap (around $90) but for those interested in U-boats I think it is a must have for one's library.

I have no economic interests in the book or the publisher and have no connection to the author.

JAndrew

Sounds like a good book and an excellent resource! Thanks for the post.

P.S. - when you buy it, can I borrow it?

best
    Hank
    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

I have had it in my hot little hands for a while now.
      JAndrew

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X