KM brocade belt? ... help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM brocade belt? ... help needed

I believe this to be late 30's or early 40's Third Reich period and request opinions of those having experience with these. The one feature which I have not observed on the few other belts I've seen is that the dagger hanger rings are attachached sandwiched between the outer and inner material on this example as opposed to being attached directly to the inner material surface covered by a small separate piece of material. Is this belt simply a manufacturer variation? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Both of my Navy brocades have the same construction. I don't remember ever seeing one with a different construction.

Comment

I agree with klr, the few I've seen have always been with that construction of the "sandwiched" hanger rings.

Dating these is difficult since the same belt construction continued pre-war, wartime and post-war Bundesmarine. I believe the examples with hollow-back buckles in which the reverse mirrors the obverse design are the earlier ones whereas these smooth concave reverse ones were later - but how late I couldn't say.

Perhaps Eduardo and others can comment as well.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

Don't know if this is true, but I read a thread on the buckle forum that says the FLL trade mark on post war buckles is with straight lines on the bottom of the L and the war time ones have a slight curve to the bottom of the L.

Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by klr View Post
              Don't know if this is true, but I read a thread on the buckle forum that says the FLL trade mark on post war buckles is with straight lines on the bottom of the L and the war time ones have a slight curve to the bottom of the L.

Kirby
              You mean this thread?
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=385514

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Comment

Thanks guys.

I had also previously encountered the info about the curvature of the letters FLL being indicative of pre/wartime buckles while the straight letter style is post-war, so I do believe the buckle to be Third Reich period.

Here is a thread I found which illustrates what I would refer to as an unquestionably Third Reich period KM brocade belt where the hanger rings are mounted in a manner in which there is a small extra piece of material covering it on the inner side of the belt.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=km+brocade

Using that one as a reference point, it seems the one in the link provided is earlier since the brocade has a silver content and the end of the belt is squared off whereas the example I have posted would probably be a little later since the brocade is aluminum wire and the belt ends in a pointed construction.

This is kind of like distinquishing time periods of KM dagger hangers based upon the hardware used; brass (earlier) or aluminum (later). I believe particulary late ones even used lower quality base metals.

I hope I haven't rambled on too much here but I always enjoy discussing the finer details. Any further commentary is welcome

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X