Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank K View Post
    Thanks Ricardo.

I believe the small letter is for a children uniform like the one below.
    Hi Frank,

It's a very nice picture. Yes, after saw this picture I think it's possible too.

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Thank you for sharing that photo. I had never seen photographic evidence of a child's hat with the small lettering tally.
      Regards
      JustinG

Comment

One more, he's cute this one
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
          JustinG

Comment

I agree with the above and thanks for posting the image of the boy with the tally. Remember that small letter tallies existed early after the conversion from Latin to Gothic script. However, unpopular and hard to read so they went to the larger letter later. We discussed this I believe in the long tally thread.

John

Comment

Frank, superb photos you are showing here. I have seen them (or similar ones) from time to time but didn't give them the attention I probably should!
              Yes, John is absolutely correct. These tallies were worn officially for a very short period and only on a very few ships. It appears they gave them a kind of trial period. However, and there's a catch with nearly everything: these are NOT the same we can see here on the children's caps. So special care has to be given when a small lettered comes for sale!

Daniel

Comment

Yes, need to be careful with these. Here is a small letter example for a ship, not a child's cap.

John
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                  Yes, need to be careful with these. Here is a small letter example for a ship, not a child's cap.

John
                  Very nice one.

How many ships are know to have these small letter versions? I had see only the Admiral Scheer and now the Karlsruhe, there are some others?

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Not sure but probably most of the cruiser and above ships that were in commission in 1933.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                      I agree with the above and thanks for posting the image of the boy with the tally. Remember that small letter tallies existed early after the conversion from Latin to Gothic script. However, unpopular and hard to read so they went to the larger letter later. We discussed this I believe in the long tally thread.

John
                      Found the old thread and there you consulted a couple of experienced German collectors who believed it was a patriotic or kinder tallly, alas.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+letter&page=2

Never got around to measure it but it's 140 cm long and the width is about one millimeter less than a normal tally. The fabric itself feels like any tally.

What struck me now is the large loops on the lettering on the reverse. They're bigger than the standard KM tallies imo and reminds me the loops on some Reichsmarine tallies?

Anyway, I know we're far away from the original subject but found these pics from Mr Winkler.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Frank K; 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

and two more:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Observing the Kai-Winkler pictures, seems to me this kinder tally has a construction method little bit different from Karlsruhe and Scheer tallies showed bellow. May be tallies in the kinder pictures are similar to Kai-Winkler sample.

Regards,

Ricardo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X