Clear All

KM Narvik 1940 - Böttger display

I've always been fascinated by this picture in Böttgers Book Narvik im Bild

Mvh. AHT
    Attached Files

Nice photo.

Mike

Comment

Yep ..... and the project that turned that photo into a great looking mannequin !

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

For starters (and for those not so familiar with the norwegian military dressing codes) this guy depictured in the Böttger book wears a Norwegian military uniform coded M34 ref
        Attached Files

Comment

Easily identified with a Norwegian made (Kongsberg) Colt 1911 and the so called Colt-rig (amongst Norwegian collectors) this outfit surely makes a fine display.

Adding a pre-war Kriegsmarine Tellermütze just tops the icing of the cake

Mvh. A. H.
          Attached Files

Comment

The guy in the Böttger picture somehow managed to get hold of a Kongsberg Colt 1911 pistol ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongsberg_Colt

And for those pre-occupied with serialnumbers this Kongsberg Colt has one and only the same...

Mvh. A. H.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by A.H. Thomassen; 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

And litterally lets throw in a handgrenade for just and fair good measure - the much used German M24 also named the Potato-Masher:

Mvh. A. H.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by A.H. Thomassen; 05-31-2013, 07:13 PM.

Comment

So depicted in the original area of the Narvik 1940 Campaign - here's HEINRICH in colour pictures :-)

Mvh. A. H.
                Attached Files

Comment

And turning to the actual phtograph from the original publication - here's some b/w for those eager ones....

All the photographs were taken solely on the Battlefield of Narvik 1940, and I will grasp the opportunity of expressing my solely gratitude to ROBERT who helped me managing HEINRICH and assisting me with the camera in making this feeble attempt of displaying a Gebirgsmarine Narvik 1940 display

Mvh. A. H.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Really top notch there.
                    It is looking superb. I know you have focused a lot of time in this and it has paid off.
                    Congratulations my friend,

Regards,
                    JustinG

Comment

Then I take the opportunity to make my first post here on the forum after being a member for many years .

Your "Böttger display is absolutely superb my friend.

It shows along with the photograph from the book in a clear manner which chaos that was during the Battle of Narvik,
                      That they took the weapons and uniforms that they could find.

Mattias

Comment

Thanks for your nice words Justin and Mattias - they're warmly appreciated

It took some time gathering all the equipment but I think that it turned out quite nice in the end.

The crews of the German destroyers that were sunk at Narvik got the bulk of their clothing and equipment from the Norwegian Army depot at Elvegardsmoen which they managed to overrun on April 9th 1940. Here large stacks of both uniforms and weaponry were stored, and although the crews from the destroyers had little weapons before hand they got quite well equipped from this Norwegian depot.

Not only were uniforms and Colts used by these crews, also the Norwegian standard rifle Krag-Jörgensen got used as well as footwear and such.

Here's some pictures of my Böttger-guy equipped with such a Krag-Jörgensen rifle. In addition to his Norwegian M34 jacket he is wearing a pair of Kriegsmarine trousers and the footwear is the standard norwegian Army boots used both pre-war and in the cold war era. These boots are pre-war though.

Mvh. A. H.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi A.H,

Superb my friend!! I too had the bug to do a uniform from a picture and its great when it comes together!!

Congratulations and keep them coming!!

Kindest Regards,

JustinC

Reference -

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X