Uboat clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uboat clock

Is there any way the Uboat this clock came of can be identified from the number on the dial? thanks Roger
    Attached Files

Why do you say is a "u-boat" clock?, it's a standart ship clock.

regards
    Mike

Comment

I agree, it's Kriegsmarine vessel clock, be it Uboot or any other ship, we'll never know.

It's really funny how everything with an eagle and "M" is described as "U-boat" :-) :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GEPRUFT View Post

regards
        Mike

I,ll agree

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by GEPRUFT View Post

regards
          Mike
          Hi Mike I collect British items but I was asked by the owner if the Uboat could be identified from this number as the clock came from the son of the man who scrapped the uboat in the Clyde after the war.I am not trying to buy or sell the clock I am just trying to answer the mans question it's of no concern to me what it came from.Roger

Comment

Maybe they can start from the location and uboat.net webpage. I am sure they can narrow the list with that ;-)

Comment

Thanks Mike I'll try there.Roger

Comment

Nice clock!

Comment

Interesting thread: I also have a ships clock like the one shown above which I am thinking to sell right now. Regards, Florian

Last edited by afx20000; 08-24-2013, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Hello Roger,

I think you'll have more luck narrowing down the search by finding out which particular scrap merchant originally had this clock. Very often, one particular scrap merchant had only one u-boat. Example of this on E-Bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2310367802...84.m1423.l2649

The case should be matt black to stop the sun reflection. But, as was the fashion particularly in the UK, the black was stripped off to reveal the brass bezel.

Another avenue may be to contact Konrad Knirim (Author)

Comment

Hi I have a friend whos grandad personally took one of these same clocks off a uboat, I have seen the clock & other items of his, dont know what boat though.

His grandad was a chap called James Frost & was apparently the longest serving britsh Uboat man he served on the following british Uboats Umbra,
                      L23, Oberon, Undaunted, P222, Viking, P37, P35, & Volatile, because of his knowledge he was in a group of british who inspected the last componded
                      ww2 german Uboats at wars end & took several items from them, which his grandson still has.

James Frost also managed to move through pure luck from several ships & other boats prior to them being sunken, earlier one of which was HMS Hood,
                      He was born 1905-died 1991

I know every body likes to say these clocks are from a Uboat but many of them are, if anyone finds out the numbering system records please let me know.

Comment

Hello Arthur,

Interesting story about James Frost! Would love to see the items he has.

Most of the clock/watch companies still exist today, and have extensive archives. However, 9 times out of 10 their invoice records just show "10x Ships clocks to Kiel Quartermasters Department" or "5x KM Hanharts to La Speiza" etc. From the Kriegsmarine Quatermasters they were then designated to a particular ship/uboot.

It's definately worth a shot though!

Comment

Hi I will get some photos of some items, I work with his Grandson,

He has some Uboat trench art model sub made from aluminium by his grandad
                          when aboard uboat & other items. The info is quite fasicinating as one of the ships was sunk a few days after he was transfered, might take me a couple of days but will see him after bank hols

Thanks

Comment

This is the Uboat clock taken, still waiting for the other items to be brought back in to work to photograph them again.
                            Attached Files

Comment

There was black paint on it taken off years ago, still see remnants in srew fittings.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X