KM tellermutze for review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM tellermutze for review...

After acquisition of the previously posted and confirmed one with the white top, the hunt continues for the KM headgear. Unfortunately, due to large amount of purchases, I'm still on the "cheap side" of headgear collecting, means no expensive officer's visors (yet).
    I'd like to hear about this one. Any issues seen by more experienced?
    Sorry for tle labels, want to hide the dealer's mark.
    thanks in advance,

Andjelo
    Croatia
    Attached Files

I do not own many of these caps, but those that I do, as I mentioned before, came in groups.

I like the ones with the red names stitched into the front stiffener in the cap and also into the cap cover, like this one from 1939.

I have several of these types with the red name-tag in the white cap cover.

John
    Attached Files

Comment

Here are two more though, same sailor. One has the red tag, the other black inked name into the cap.

So variability in what you might encounter.

John
      Attached Files

Comment

I guess I just do not trust a lot of these caps even though many thousands should exist today. I think you add up the value of the tally, the hardware, then the cap. If it has reasonable provenance, then OK, a premium, otherwise, I would not go overboard on it.

I just checked what I have and I have 3 white covered caps that came in groups and one blue covered (the Prinz Eugen cap). I have a number of extra covers that came with the groups.

John

Comment

Yes, just what I thought about these, but also all other items when we come to headgear.

The only problem with all of the TR items is that there are way more named than unnamed items, but of course there comes the price isue after that fact.

Many of my items are named, and I just lowe to make a small story and research about the original owner, either with the help of community of by buying official service records if available, but than there are many unnamed which i also like, to say at least.

In this particular case I'm looking at the capm the manufacturer (if it existed and there is evidence of them made KM caps), stitches etc...

Everything more detailed than that is nonsense if we do not have more provenance.

Comment

Also post on the cloth headgear forum. I think that is where many of your questions will be answered.

John

Comment

A shot that I always appreciate is the inside the front of the hat, where the protective pad is in place from the Cockade and the eagle. John provided a shot like this.

That also helps with determining the sweatband, possibly if there is a stiffener liner in the sweatband, and possibly seeing the double seams as it could be a removable lid or a single piece construction tellermuetze.

Best Regards,
              JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X