Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Die Handelsmarine der Welt 1942

Hello, anyone into period naval books?

I just thought I would share an interesting and unusual (?) book with you. It is "Die Handelsflotten der Welt 1942". It has the same style and publisher as the more wellknown "Weyers Taschenbuch der Kriegsflotten". Covers the merchant vessels of the period in 715 pages. Endless lists of shipnames and data, sorted in different ways to be easier to look through. Search by shipname, shipowner, country, siluette, style e t c.

Has wartime remarks like "beware of altered appearances of colors, funnels and deckguns". My book seems to have belonged to the Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine as printed on the frontpage, see picture below. Mayby used by a shipcaptain to identify potential targets... guess I will never know.

Please enjoy the pictures!

Best regards
    Mikael

Compared with the Flottentaschenbuch:

Nice find, these don't come up too often.
    Really interesting.

Regards,
    JustinG

Comment

Very interesting piece, congratulations
      Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
      Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Thank you, I am very glad to have it. Given to me by my father many years ago and I believe he got it from one of his bookcollecting friends in Copenhagen.

Is there a way to find out anything about where this Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine 3. Abtl Seekriegsleitung was situated? From what I have found out: Seekriegsleitung is "High Command".

Best regards
        Mikael

Comment

wow thats one interesting book ! Have to hunt for a copy now lol, love it to see new stuff for me. Thank you for sharing.
          The hunt is on lol

Comment

Originally posted by Swespe View Post
            Thank you, I am very glad to have it. Given to me by my father many years ago and I believe he got it from one of his bookcollecting friends in Copenhagen.

Is there a way to find out anything about where this Oberkommando der Kriegsmarine 3. Abtl Seekriegsleitung was situated? From what I have found out: Seekriegsleitung is "High Command".

Best regards
            Mikael

Here's a little bit:
            http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=7618
            Doesn't mention "where" though...

Hank
            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thank you for the link Hank and thank you all others for the "thumbs up"!
              If and when I find out more of its origins I will let you know.

Will update later with some other interesting KM bookstuff I have in the shelves.

Best regards
              Mikael

Comment

That is an unusual and interesting DV. Not seen it before. Thanks for showing Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Interesting I searched the internet looking for originals of this but could only see a reprinted version.

I have an example that actually belonged to a Luftwaffe unit! Also the search list which belonged to "OKM".

/Ian
                  Attached Files
                  Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

The book is rare and shows up not too often. The SKL was part of the OKM (high command of the navy) with headquarters in Berlin (ath end of the war in Ploen). SKL Abteilung 3 was responsible for "analysis of intelligence". One group inside this department was responsible for "foreign navies". One result of their work is the above shown book.
                    Regards
                    Christian

Comment

Maybe this helps:

http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg...-org.htm#MND-2

Comment

Hi Guys, I have had a copy of Die Handelsflotten der Welt 1942 with a Luftwaffe unit stamp to the cover come into work. Going up for auction on March 22nd.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Just done a pic.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X