Cap Tally Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap Tally Questions

I have read through the pinned thread on cap tallies and could not find these questions brought up so I ask now.

1. There were (I believe) 32 Schiffsstammabteilungen approved but only 31 existed. It is also my understanding that some of these were set up after the prohibition on the wearing of peace time cap tallies. So my question is what is the highest number SSA that would be found on a cap tally?

2. If private purchase named tallies were available up to the end of the war would there be pre 1945 Bismarck and Tirpitz tallies out there?

Last a comment. I noted on the thread some discussion of storage of the tallies in film containers. I have been using the plastic tubes that coin collectors use that are "archival quality". I prefer to keep them rolled and not folded to prevent creases if I have to store them.

JAndrew

Greetings,

Here's a bit of what I picked up. I am not entirely sure of the highest number of the Schiffstammabteilung. On post 83 of the pinned thread, I shared a photo of a tally from the 12 Schiffstammabteilung that was in a photo album from a sailor assigned there and the Kreuzer Leipzig.
    I would love to see if someone has a tally of this unit that has one with a higher number.

My understanding is that the order came from the OKW around the time the Zerstoerer Anton Schmitt was being commissioned and was the last unit to have tallies made before the ban. So, I usually reference the date of commission of the Anton Schmitt and that helps me when I see a unfamiliar tally which I am wondering if it is early Bundesmarine or not.

So the 24th of September 1939 makes sense for this as it was so close to the war starting and it would naturally take a couple of weeks for the order to spread to the various commands.

The Prinz Eugen is an interesting one as it was launched in 1938 but commissioned in 1940. There is photographic proof that the Prinz Eugen did have a naval tally. John Robinson has a good shot of a KM sailor and a USN sailor on the deck with the KM sailor wearing the Prinz Eugen tally. Some believe this might have been a post war production. I tend to believe that it was from a stock made around 1938-1939 as the manufacturer would have been constructing these pieces for issue on the Commissioning date. But weren't issued until the end of the war, possibly issuing some to the KM crew who helped the USN assume command and make her way across the Atlantic and to the Pacific where it finally ended it's career.

The Bismarck and Tirpitz were both launched in the Spring 1939. From a quick look, it seemed like most units that had tallies had been launched 1938.
    The Bismarck and the Tirpitz never had tallies made.

As you read, Several people store their tallies in film canisters. I do myself, until I complete my layout and display of them.

Bernd W, who is a very experienced and has published extensively on the subject of tallies/muetzenbander suggested to keep in acid free paper, loosely in a Acid free box or envelope.

I agree with your methods, it is best not to have the tallies get a crease as the material can rip, or fray.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    JustinG

Comment

Justin,
      Thank you. I had realized that Bismarck and Tirpitz had no issue tallies but I was wondering about the private purchase ones that were available until war's end.
      JAndrew

Comment

I can't remember which forum, maybe it was this one: someone had a kinder hat with the Bismarck tally. Multiple opinions and thought that this might have been a period commemorative tally. Definitely, not the same construction as one issued period piece.
        Really, I don't know. Really wonder if these overproduction pieces were sold, put into moth-balls or destroyed. Perhaps, never even constructed.

Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X