Blockadebrecher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blockadebrecher

I'm member here since years, but untill now not a paying member. Today I deciced to become one, which enables me to show you some things from my Kriegsmarine collection.

The Blockadebrecher Abzeichen was based on the SS Bremen, which can cleary be seen from this postcard and painting. Not strange, since Bremen could be considered as the first blockadebrecher; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Bremen_(1929)

Remarkably, few sources about the award mention the design was based on this vessel.
    Attached Files

Two weeks ago I received this wooden example, which I think is quite nice.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hmm, perhaps this could have been better been posted in the award section. Is there any easy way to change that?

Thanks,

Maurice

Comment

Maurice, Thanks for th einformation on the Bremen and I love the carved version. I have seen several carved Narvik Shields, but nothing like this

Comment

Wow! Love that carved memento! That is just great!

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Slavick View Post
            Wow! Love that carved memento! That is just great!

Joe
            Me too Joe.

With the link to Japan on the carving i am wondering if this ship carried some of the stranded HK THOR crewmen back to Germany after the THOR was destroyed by fire in Yokohama harbour in November 1942.

The 1943 date on the carving would suggest that "this ship" operated out of Japan in 1943.

Here is a HK award document that i have for a crewman of the THOR's 2nd cruise and is signed by the Commander Gunther Gumprich in January 1943.
            Evidence that THOR crewmen were still in Japan in 1943.

Great stuff Maurice.Do you have any more information as to which ship the "carved" memento represented ??

Regards,Martin.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Martin W; 07-15-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

It's difficult to tell which ship he was on. Is it from Japan or to Japan, or from and to Japan meant? If the ship sunk he could also have received the award.

Nice Thor Urkunde!

Kind regards,

Maurice

Comment

Thanks for showing, great info

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
                  Two weeks ago I received this wooden example, which I think is quite nice.
                  You got a very nice artifact I imagine that the carving derive from "letzte Blockadebrecher" Osorno.

Regards,
                  Haruki

Comment

Martin,

Got home from work and could have a look in a book I have 'Die Abenteuer des letzen Kapers', from Heinz Tischer. It's a fascinating, rare book filled with photos. If you don't have it yet, I can recommend it. Try searching on ZVAB.de or Buchfreund.de. Price should be around € 50. Regarding 'Evidence that THOR crewmen were still in Japan in 1943.', yes that's true. I understood from the book that the crew was scattered, the CO Gumprich took over HSK Michel, sunk on 17.Oktober 1943. He also took some crewmembers along on the Michel. Others were on Pietro Orseolo, sunk on 1 april 1943, and others stayed in Japan until the capitulation of Japan.

Kind regards,

Maurice
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Maurice,

i will try to get a copy of the book.

I have many original photo's from Tischer.

This one was taken in Balikpapan,Borneo in Sept.1942.

Tischer is second from the left.

I have also posted a nice image of Thor crewman that was taken in Japan.

Regards,Martin.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Also Maurice,

if you do not have this book it does cover the activity of the Blockade Breakers, in and out of Japan in 1943.

Not a bad read.

Regards,Martin.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful information presented on this thread gentlemen. I appreciate the book suggestions as this is an area where my knowledge is lacking.

Maurice, those are wonderful items. The images of the Bremen are excellent. I had no idea the badge design was after an actual ship. Now I will have to find an image to display with my badges. And I love the carving as well.

Great stuff gents.
                          Regards,
                          JAndrew

Comment

Hi Martin,

Interesting photos! Nice that you have Tischer's collection of photos!

I don't have that much Hilfskreuzer documents, but this Urkunde for the quator crossing is very attractive.

Didn't know the book you mention, for Blockade brecher I use Jochen Brennecke, Schwarze Schiffe, weite See.

Kind regards,

Maurice
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow,that is great Maurice.

It is nice to see another of these Thor "Equator" documents.

Here is one that i have and they are from the Thor's 1st cruise and issued on the same date,6 July 1940.

The signature of "Neptun" is written by the Commander Otto Kahler.

Regards,Martin.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X