No announcement yet.

Kriegsmarine Sailor's Cap. Opinions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting the additional picture. Looks like a great hat. Congratulations.
    These hats are in pretty good demand and they don't stay on the open markets like estand, ebay etc... When one does come out that is of good quality, they get snatched up quickly. This is a great piece. Congratulations again.
    Regards,
    JustinG

Comment

There is no problem with the cap and the separate eagle from the cockade was normal for early versions. The cap was never designed for the national eagle so in the beginning, they just stuck in the eagle as best they could. I am sure it fell out all the time.

Then they created the combined cockade and eagle arrangement, but still did not change the cap, so it never was a great fit--meaning too little room for both the eagle and cockade. At least with the combined device, the sailor did not have to worry about the eagle falling out.

So some of these caps have the combined device, others it was separate.

John

Comment

Thanks John, good point and something I hadn't even thought of.
        I was curious about how the eagle would be secured inside.
        One of the images posted initially, didn't load and so the additional shot that was provided by Simon answered my question.
        I was merely curious how this particular sailor dealt with the telleradler reverse pin. From the obverse it seemed like a high placement, one where the standard protector would not be large enough to protect the forehead from the pin. As shown, there was a piece of fabric additionally secured. This was my reason for my request.

Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
          Thanks John, good point and something I hadn't even thought of.
          I was curious about how the eagle would be secured inside.
          One of the images posted initially, didn't load and so the additional shot that was provided by Simon answered my question.
          I was merely curious how this particular sailor dealt with the telleradler reverse pin. From the obverse it seemed like a high placement, one where the standard protector would not be large enough to protect the forehead from the pin. As shown, there was a piece of fabric additionally secured. This was my reason for my request.

Regards,
          JustinG
          I know, I did not understand how it worked either when I first considered the problem.

I have tried to secure these eagles on caps I have owned, but in a couple cases, the pin simply breaks off if you try to bend it at all-- even slightly. Maybe back then they had a bunch of these eagles and were able to experiment a bit with it.

I think most of them just were stuck through the cap and they hoped it would stay.

Today, I would just stick it in and not try to bend it, twist it, or anything else to keep it secure since you will probably break the pin off the eagle.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X