X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Petty Officer Reefer

Hi All,
    Here is my KM Petty Officer Reefer

Nice jacket, but it's Colani (pea coat).

Reefer would be this:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=reefer

Comment

Interesting,
      The rating/qualification specialty badges seem really low placed. Almost where the elbow would be?
      I also can't think of when I have seen these two ratings put together? What I am guessing is a Helmsman insignia (could also be a Engineering insigina) and Air Ordinance?
      Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
      JustinG

Comment

Hi there,

The air orndnance badge looks to have always been there. I do have my doubts as to when the helmsman badge was applied though. Its positioning has always puzzled me too.

The tunic has a name labels sewn inside and is marked with KM markings for BAW.
        Most of the buttons are dated 1941.

I have a nice overseas cap along with the tunic. I'll post some pics soon.

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
        Interesting,
        The rating/qualification specialty badges seem really low placed. Almost where the elbow would be?
        I also can't think of when I have seen these two ratings put together? What I am guessing is a Helmsman insignia (could also be a Engineering insigina) and Air Ordinance?
        Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

I love the breast eagle, collar tabs, and collar tresse...first rate! Thanks for sharing!

Richard

Comment

Eagle is nice. Collar tress seems partially hand stitched (on across the tab), other machine, but material seems good.

EK2 ribbon is on the wrong place. It should be on the 2nd button hole. Was it originally on the jacket or you put it there? Can you post inside markings and inside of the EK2 ribbon place photos?

Comment

Originally posted by amiklic1 View Post
              Eagle is nice. Collar tress seems partially hand stitched (on across the tab), other machine, but material seems good.

EK2 ribbon is on the wrong place. It should be on the 2nd button hole. Was it originally on the jacket or you put it there? Can you post inside markings and inside of the EK2 ribbon place photos?
              Just checked out quite a few period photos and the EK ribbon is quite correct being in the top button-hole.

Comment

Usually it was on the second buttonhole.

Here from another forum (just for the info, not saying that's regulation):
                EK2's, KVK's, etc. were issued with 30 centimeters of 25 mm wide ribbon. This converts to 11.81 inches in length.

The recipient would cut off some of the ribbon to sew into the second buttonhole of his tunic. If the tunic was a wrap, it would be sewn into the top buttonhole.

The remnants of the ribbon would be left with the medal. This is why you find some with shorter pieces of ribbon. The ribbon you are asking about has not been cut.

But, some people were putting it on the second mostly, than the third, and here we see it on the first (which really looks strange as the ribbon is not nicely visible, so wearer would notice that, of course). Presentation of the awards was very important to soldiers, and this highly awarded sailor would, in my opinion, take more care about that.

Anyway, you have a very nice Colani there. Equip it with some badges, and here you go ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by U-Boot Kapitan View Post
                  Just checked out quite a few period photos and the EK ribbon is quite correct being in the top button-hole.

I stand corrected.
                  Indeed, I have checked many period photos, both online and from my own collection, and EK2 ribbon was worn on a second buttonhole of officer's reefer, but on the first buttonhole of Colani.

lapels on officer's reefer are much higher, so top button hole is covered, perhaps that was the reason.

So, your jacket has EK2 ribbon on the right place. Sorry for misunderstanding ;-)

Andjelo
                  Croatia

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X