Attack periscope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attack periscope!

I want to share my latest find with you guys.

It's a top section of attack periscope I bought recently.

For me, this piece is just what Uboot is. Just think of the scenery it has seen...

Here are few pics:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by amiklic1; 03-02-2012, 10:46 AM.

two more...
    Attached Files

Comment

I bought it from the guy whose father was the captain of the ship involved in salvaging Uboots in Wilhelmshafen area. With the periscope I am getting (it's still travelling to me) a document which explains the Uboots salvaged up to the 30.12.1949., and from what's written I narrowed the identification of the Uboot this periscope belonged to to 3:
      U-552
      U-554
      U-777

I am still studying other available attack periscopes, especially their top lids, as there are obviously some differences (mine has two screws, some have edge dents for wrench etc.).

If anyone has some photos of this attack periscope with relation to certaing Uboot number, i appreciate if it can be posted here for review.

Let's chase this piece to the original owner...

Comment

Wonderful!

Best regards,
        RonR

Comment

Awsome...
          I have a depth gauge from a swedish submarine, which is an exact copy of the german type from the XXI type U3505, but this pice is stunning

Comment

OK, it's cleaned a bit (disassembled and cleaned of all debris and mud, to preserve the inner parts of further deterioration over time, but also to learn a bit about this special item).

Now I'm planning the display for it, and you'll get more pics when I take some time.
            No doubt it is and will forever stay a central part of my collection.

Comment

And now for something completely different.

First, a few photos. Display is not finished, but will start working on it these days. It will be of teak wood and perspex, just as this extraordinary piece deserves.
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Later today I'll post a story behind, with all the facts I found out while studying existing photos and data about this piece and u-boats salvaged in Wilhelmshaven in May 1945.

To start, I'm posting a document I got with the periscope, with my notes and translations on it:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Pretty cool

Comment

if its 552 that is the red devil right, ToppĀ“s boat!!

Comment

Outstanding piece. It looks very shiny in the more recent pictures, did you polish it or is that its natural look?

JL

Comment

Nice,

Your other displays are looking nice as well!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X