Opinions on coastal artillery tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on coastal artillery tunic

I think it's a good french made tunic, but I have some doubts on the insignia, specially breast eagle (I'm not sure if it's even a good eagle) and litzens, that I don't know if they are period sewn (unfortunately I have not better pics), opinions are wellcome,

Thanks in advance,

Doc.

Last edited by Doc_panzerjager; 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Nobody?

Comment

Hi Doc,

A while back we had a thread on the KM Feldbluse which never got transferred out of the Heer Uniforms forum but here is the summary of the evolution of the uniform from that thread:

German Navy Standard Issue Field-Grey Tunics for EM:

Rock and Feldbluse

Reichsmarine Rock:

Model 1920 - Cut from 2 front, 2 lateral, 2 back and 2 rear skirt panels. Had a vertical centre seam at the back ending in the slash, with two buttons at the back waistline to form a belt ramp. Had 16 cm French cuffs, two sew-on pleated patch breast pockets and 2 slash-type hip pockets slanted rearwards, grey badge cloth or feldgrau cloth collars. Either fully lined in grey twill or sometimes just in the upper portions and sleeves. 8 front buttons.
        (NB: Photos which nicely illustrate the construction of the panels of a Reichsmarine Rock, although on a different unlined tunic, can be seen in a WAF posting by Robert Pierce at:
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...99456#poststop)
        Insignia: collar made of feldgrau badge cloth or basic uniform cloth; tabs stitched directly on the collar or with a feldgrau badge cloth backing; shoulder straps in uniform cloth and rarely in feldgrau badge cloth; eagle on feldgrau badge cloth backing.

Model 1928 - Same as above but with 6 front buttons instead of 8.
        Insignia: as above

Kriegsmarine Feldbluse:

Model 1933 – Same tunic adopted by Heer, i.e. feldbluse with 4 outer pleated pockets with scalloped flaps, almost identical to model 40 Heer tunics. Five brass buttons. As in the Heer model, no lining, only reinforced in the pocket sewings.
        Insignia: collar made of basic uniform cloth or covered with feldgrau badge cloth; Insignia as above in the RM Rock.

Model 1936 – Diverged from Heer Feldbluse at this point. Pleated breast pockets and reverted to the internal slash lower pockets, with still 5 brass buttons. Fully lined in grey twill.
        Insignia: Dark green badge cloth back patches on the collar tabs and bluish-dark green shoulder boards. Eagle on bluish-dark green badge cloth.

Model 1940 – Almost identical to the M36, but the buttons are usually painted.
        Insignia: the collar tabs are without the back patches, sewn directly on the basic cloth collar, and the shoulder boards are in basic uniform cloth; eagle on dark feldgrau badge cloth backing; not uncommon to see the older dark green-backed insignia used

Model 1942 - Almost identical to the previous M40, but with the deletion of the pleat box on the breast pockets. Fully lined in grey twill or many times in M42-43 tunics in blue.
        Insignia: as for Model 1940, but now rare to see the older green-backed insignia used.

Model 1943 – Identical to the previous M42, but with square-shaped pockets flaps. Some examples with 6 buttons instead the usual 5

Additional Points:
        1) Previous models were seen for several years after the introduction of new models, especially in training units (Witness the photos of the 1928 model uniforms in 1936 Ships Cadre Batallions!)
        2) Dark green badge cloth collars on KM EM Feldbluse were likely tailored alterations as opposed to standard issue.
        3) Officers' tunics were another matter, tailor made and having custom options like green badge cloth collars, lower patch pockets, French cuffs, brass buttons instead of field-grey, etc. Belt hooks, eyelets and support straps were omitted and shoulder boards were usually the sew-in variety.

Sources:
        Angolia and Schlict – Die Kriegsmarine, vol 3
        Eduardo (KM Spain) from Wehrmacht-Awards Forum
        JPhilip from Wehrmacht-Awards Forum

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

So from that it looks like yours has all the characteristics of an M40.

(uploading some of your photos from your host server for further discussion)
          Attached Files

Comment

From the descriptions I would expect a grey lining but I gather from the markings this was perhaps French made and hence the colour difference? I don't have any personal experience studying uniforms in hand so we'll want Eduardo and others to comment.
            Attached Files

Comment

Again we need the tunic experts to comment but I agree that the eagle and collar tabs seem quite amateurishly sewn on, and the eagle seems too high and not level. Likely post-war application?

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice French made tunic but indeed completely restored (even the shoulder boards don't seem to match in wear). Eagle appears to be a copy IMO.

Comment

Agree with you mates, for sure a french made one, made in Paris as the maker stamp says . I have seen at least an other tunic from this maker with same lining, so IMO is OK. Eagle is not good probably and collars are replaces, anyway a nice piece in good condition.
                  Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
                  Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Thanks for your points, mates!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X