griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KRIEGSMARINE BREAST EAGLE...NCO or OFFICER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KRIEGSMARINE BREAST EAGLE...NCO or OFFICER?

Hello folks. I picked up some nice WWII cloth from a friend who is liquidating his parents estate. This KM breast eagle is a beauty! It's not bullion, but is a heavy embroidered piece w/ separately stitched highlights. I'm relatively sure it's an NCO bird, but would an officer also wear such an Adler? It appears to be of a much nicer quality than an enlisted type. The reverse has a maker's mark (looks like "HS" in white....A couple of pix below. Thanks for your input.
    Attached Files

Milton,

It is indeed an Officer's eagle in cello.

Quite nice!

For comparison........

>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

Agree, this is a nice officer breast eagle.
      Nice pick-up. I have noticed that nice examples are not being offered too often it seems.

Regards,
      JustinG

Comment

Thanks gents! Nice to know it IS an officer's bird. By the way, NICE Adler you've got there too, Ron! Thx again for your comments.

Comment

Hello, IMO this one, as Ron's one, are private purchase EM eagles made in heavy cotton thread and not in cello used with mess jackets and walking out peajackets, you are not going to find any of these on a NCO tunic, even more on an officer one.
          Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
          Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Thanks Eduardo. Yet another angle to consider! Well, EM, NCO or officer, I think it's a terrific Adler nevertheless. Thanks again for your input.

Comment

Nice bird, agree with the rest......

Comment

Hi Guys,

I agree with Eduardo, a very nice hand embroidered Kunstseide (cotton/artificial silk) eagle for the EM or the junior NCO, i.e. Matrose, Gefreiter, Maat or Obermaat, for wear on the shirt, Paradejacke or Collani. Not for the senior NCO (Feldwebel) or commissioned officers so it wouldn't appear on a Reefer jacket.

Cellon thread (sometimes called celleon) in contrast was used for the senior NCO and sometimes officers in lieu of bullion. Here's one of several posted previously by Ron.

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Hello Norm and thanks for your comments. I will say, this bird is quite thick (heavy) and does appear to be quite "shiny" for a cotton thread, but might qualify for the Kunstseide version...

Comment

Hello Norm and thanks for your comments. Quite an interesting variety to say the least.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X