Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM Salt meter

Hi guys,

I´d like to get some opinions on this nice kriegsmarine item. Seller told me it was used in submarines for a salt value measuring. Maybe somebody know more? It is several marked even with producing year 1941.

This date appears on the document which comes with. I have some doubts about this document cause date and producing number (same on the meter) is not typewritten maybe only printed. Stamp looks to be good, not printed and Ilmenau and Thuringen are about 50 km far from each other.

Well, I´m looking forward to your thoughts on this item and document.
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

Fine
      Attached Files

Comment

Well, it's no saltmeter but an alcholmeter, while they both measure the density using an alcoholmeter for measering salt wouldn't be a good idea as it's not made for that task. I don't think it's KM as there wouldn't be any use at board of a submarine, it's rather for a brewery or lab. That doesn't mean it's not real but it's not my speciallty.

Comment

Thanks for your input Uncle Goose. No matter for which purpose it was made, it´s still a nice item though. Anyone alse have something to say here?

Comment

Well, after thinking a little about this curious item I think I have a idea about it. Alcohol was (and still is) a substance that is taxed by the government so this meter had to go trough a special bureau how tested it accuracy before use. It might even be an item some inspector used to see if breweries and distilleries weren't cheating on the percent of alcohol in the products they were making. That might explain the official letter that accompanies this alcohol-meter. The matching document is a big plus and certainly adds to the value of the item. I think it's 100% the real thing here.

Comment

Yours theory about tester for alcohol value sounds pretty realistic to me! I wouldn´t be surprised if you would be some physics teacher
              I know about almost same thing for sale (without certificate) so just let me know.

Thanks again mate!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X