U-boat M35 Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-boat M35 Helmet

Thought you KM collectors would like to see a recent addition to my collection. A M35 no decal U-boat helmet. I bought it indirectly from the vet who brought it back, he was in the Military Police, in 1945 he was posted to Northern Ireland to oversee the surrender of a U-boat. Once the crew had be taken care of the U-boat was searched, all technical items and documents were removed to be analysed, the rest of the stuff was classed as junk, the vet picked up the helmet, a number of medals and a cigarette case. Many years later he gave the medals and the case to members of his family, none of them were interested in the helmet so he gave it to the guy I bought it off.
    I wouldn't think that there are too many U-boat helmets around, would love to see or hear off any other collectors who have one.

The chinstrap is a reproduction.

Tim
    Attached Files

pics
    Attached Files

Comment

more pics
      Attached Files

Comment

U-boat M35 Helmet

Last edited by NARVIK1940; 06-04-2014, 12:56 PM.

Comment

liner seems to be replaced at some time because the liner looks brand new.

Comment

U-boat M35 Helmet

I agree. Liners were replaced during the war, however. If this was on a u boat it likely was never worn. Arguments against this one include the notion that this is an M40 SE, which as far as we know did not make decaled KM helmets, and the "new" liner. However, I think it is an M35 with a replacement liner. Probably a wartime recycled helmet. Or maybe the liner system was replaced postwar? Color, however, looks KM to me. I have seen a few In This color
            (also decaled). I have one that is very similar in hue. Since the KM also used helmets from other branches, I don't see how that could be used as an argument against this one. Anyway if it is an SE M35 these were issued to the KM.
            Last edited by NARVIK1940; 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I might add that having a liner with rounded steel chinstrap bales is not unheard of on
              1940 issue M35 SE KM helmets. So, I think this helmet has every chance of being real and unmessed with.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X