Have you ever seen such a metal eagle?

Regards,

collani
    Attached Files

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Collani

Sorry if my response was slow but I just noticed this thread! I'm not an expert but I just love
      eagles and cap insignia and have a few myself

I have seen the metal wreath mounted on cloth before on a few occasions (but not as nice as yours) but never the eagle before: whow! Yet it stands to reason that they would do such an eagle to match the wreath no? I think you have a perfecty matched minty original set here: first time is see one like it! I suspect both wreath and eagle are made of anodized aluminum?

What makes this even more interesting to me is that I have also seen (and have in my archives) a few Kriegmarine gold breast eagle in metal mounted on navy blue cloth just like your cap insignia over the years . They are identical in size to regular white summer uniform removable eagles except the mounting system is different. Instead of a pin they have 3 fold over clips in the back and are attached to a piece of navy cloth just like your cap set. It would make a great set if you could find one of these to match your set!

I never saw this eagle before so I taught this type wreath was worn with the regular metal
      gilt eagle but now that I know it exists I will try to find a set (hopefully as nice as yours) too

Thank for sharing

JC

Comment

I always thought the metal visor insignia looked like this

toni dave 222.jpg

Comment

Exactly Dave! Thats what I taught too until I saw Collani's metal eagle mounted on cloth and your style eagle was probably used in most instances because it could be removed easily and reaffixed over the white top since it only had 1 needle like pin (at least mine does) But Collani's eagle makes perfect sens for KM since they also used cloth backed metal wreath and cloth backed metal breast eagle on navy blue background. No idea of where or how these were used but I have seen the wreath & breast eagle often enough (only as loose insignia)

The thing I find most interesting about this bird is that like the wreath, it tries to simulate the hand embroidery version and the only other metal eagle that I have seen which is made that way is the metal version of the Diplomatic corps eagle. Its also interesting to note that Collani's wreath is slightlyy different than yours (cut-outs) which suggest more than one maker and that the finish matches the finish of the eagle perfectly. I just find it strange that these have never showed up before but I like it!

Night

JC

Comment

Just want to link this thread with the other one on the topic; another of these metal wreaths was posted here:
            Kriegsmarine NCOs/Officers Wreath&Cockade

And a breast eagle surfaced on Weitze's site that is clearly by the same manufacturer as the cap eagle posted by collani. The description reads:
            "Kriegsmarine Brustadler für Unteroffiziere es handelt sich hier um eine französische Fertigung, Metallausführung,rückseitig fehlt ein Splint. Für das blaue Jacket."

Not sure where the French connection came from though.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Great point Jean-Claude, I too feel that there are at least two different makers of the weath. Observe the second stem from the bottom, note the leaves are more pronounced on the right side of the stem in the one example. The example that I posted is the same,
              But yet the wreath that Blutundehre posted is totally different!!
              Last edited by Andy C.; 12-12-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Andy,

I don't think anyone doubts we are looking at two different makers of metal wreaths here due to the obvious differences as you say.

The question is did either of those two wreath makers also make the solid metal "embroidery-like" cap and breast eagles or were those made by a third company? The styles don't look like an exact match to me but I can't be sure.

As to the metal eagle pin that Dave (blutundehre) posted in post #4, that wasn't specifically meant to be matched with a metal wreath, but rather that's a standard metal eagle meant for the white top of he visor cap.

BTW, does anyone have the re-printed F.W. Assmann catalog handy? Any insignia of this type depicted there?

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

Yes, that's exactly the metal brest eagle I was talking about

No Norm, my Assmann catalog reprint (loose leaf sirlock binding) doesnt show any "cloth mounted/embroidery like" KM metal insignia but that doesnt mean much because I was never sure it was complete (some one sided pages) as if it was copied from an original with missing pages. It also doesnt show the "summer uniform style" 3 pin cloth mounted eagle of a later Assmann design either but maybe in a later original Assmann catalog...

JC

Comment

I have to apologize Norm, i am sorry for jumping tracks on you Gents,Ive never seen one of those metal eagles before, but i have only been doing this six years.
                    Thanks for keeping a old boy straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy C. View Post
                      I have to apologize Norm, i am sorry for jumping tracks on you Gents,Ive never seen one of those metal eagles before, but i have only been doing this six years.
                      Thanks for keeping a old boy straight.
                      Definitely no apology necessary, Andy. You made good and pertinent observations about the differences between the two makers of metal wreath. All contributes to the discussion, and that's what the forum is all about!

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Thank you Norm, the thing that i like about you KM fellows is that you basically debate the facts, that is all. No one needs their LB. of flesh or there isnt any mud slinging. It really allows an inexperienced member like myself to take his head out of the sand respond to posts, or threads.

Thanks Guys,

Andy................................

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X