Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine Schützenschnur and others

Hi All,
    I've seen it said elsewhere in this forum that it's difficult to research Navy Lanyards, and my fairly neophyte attempts cause me to agree! My father (now deceased) served on the Graf Spee in 1937 and I have his photo with his "Schützenschnur" with two acorns.

My Dad described the lanyard as a pale blue braid and I think he said the acorns were metal and silver but I can't recall exactly.
    I've been trying to collect representatives of my Dad's awards but can't seem to find the same lanyard (although some quite similar). In the photo below you see one I acquired but which seems darker blue than the original and the material seems stiffer than the softer appearing material in the old photo. It was sold to me as an unissued WW2 original and certainly seems suspiciously pristine.

So on to my questions: Has anyone ever seen a paler blue Schützenschnur (Navy Lanyard) with at least two acorns to give me a better idea of what they look like in living colour? Is the dark blue one pictured above typical?

Best Regards to all.

The "Kriegsmarine" 3 volume set says these are supposed to have a shield on them with an anchor. Does anyone know if this is true? I've seen several of these on uniforms, but none have ever had the shield.

Comment

Didn't they come with and without shields, depending on the grade???

Tom

Comment

Kriegsmarine Schützenschnur and others

Originally posted by tgn View Post
        Didn't they come with and without shields, depending on the grade???

Tom
        An old thread on the discussion groups at:
        http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=lanyard
        indicates that the shield was only for Level 4 awards. Still missing some detail as to the classification and will have to find some other reference.
        I'm still hoping someone on the forums has a colour reference to show the detail on a light blue lanyard with acorns...
        Regards,
        Norm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X