Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreigsmarine Tableware, Dinnerware & Messware

Hello,

First, thank you for letting me join your forums and I hope to be able to provide information as well as to learn; probably more the latter than the former!

I collect authentic vintage/antique Naval tableware and dinnerware from the world's navies and have been doing so for about 4 years and already have a nice collection including pieces from the US, UK, Canada, France, Norway, Japan, Argentina, Russian/USSR, Poland, and ofcourse Germany.

I have been fortunate to have collected some pieces that are relatively rare, one-of-a-kind and historically significant with dates ranging from the late 1800's through the 1960's.

I also collect US Marine Corps USMC, US Coast Guard USCG as well. I also restore and craft nautical furniture from WWII Liberty Ship Hatch Covers and 100+ year old nautical steamer trunks.

Anyhow.. enough about me!

I have a question: I cannot find any threads or sites that have an interest in Kriegsmarine or Reichsmarine Tableware, is there not any interest in this?

Again, thanks and hope to be a contributor as well as a learner..

Kind Regards,

Mike
    Last edited by ChinaSailor; 12-06-2007, 07:56 PM. Reason: i inadvertantly put in a url which had prices..

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! You ask a good question. I cannot remember any threads dealing with this area of collecting. Maybe someone else can think of something. best wishes,
    jeff
    Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
      Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! You ask a good question. I cannot remember any threads dealing with this area of collecting. Maybe someone else can think of something. best wishes,
      jeff
      I've really enjoyed collecting Naval tableware and learning much of the history behind it, example: prior to the jet age (post-wwii) whenever any heads-of-state visited foriegn lands they obviously needed to use their respective country's navies to do so. This was why many of the battleships and flagships had absolutely incrediblly detailed officer's wardrooms along with appropriately topmarked dinnerware and tableware so that they could invite their counterparts to reciprocal formal dining-in ceremonies aboard the flagship.

Also, it is very very difficult to fake, forge or reproduce china and silverware!!

Maybe we can start a forum or something just on Naval dinnerware, tableware and messware.

Re's

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

welcome to WAF.Sounds like you have a very interesting collection.I am not sure under which category Tableware would come under,maybe the equipment forum?
        You could also show your collection on the collections display forum,i'm sure it would draw some interest.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Thanks, I made a post in the Collectors Section as suggested.

Here is a link showing some of my more prized items, an 1894 US Navy Demitasse Cup showing the first ever use of the US Navy seal with a gold Eagle clutching an Anchor.

http://www.thepirateslair.com/us-nav...a-history.html

Mike

Comment

I use this US Navy tableware and silverware everyday--here is a bit of it. Yes, German tableware is also collected, but, sometimes the number of people who collect it just does not justify a sub-forum dedicated only to that area.

Cap tallies would be another example.

However, whether posted on the US forum here or other parts of WAF that it might fit in, I found your website at www.thepirateslair.com very informative.

Note, the USN marked plates to the left middle are lunch plates.

John
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John R.; 12-06-2007, 07:14 PM.

Comment

More--note, the plates to the bottom left in this image are lunch plates, slightly smaller than the above dinner plates. John
              Attached Files
              Last edited by John R.; 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Nice Collection!

They don't make "restaurantware" like that anymore!

We have a 10' WWII Liberty Ship Hatch Cover as our dining room table; and my office desk is made from a 5' hatch cover.

Kriegsmarine Porzellan probably wouldnt be a category itself but quite possibly a Militaria or Naval Dinnerware and Tableware forum would support a fair amount of users.

Some of the plates are quite valuable. Though not typical an example would be some recent Zeppelin plates one of which went for close to $700. and there is another one on Ebay right now which I think is about $400. And John, Thanks! Mike

Comment

That bastard John Robinson has everything! I should have known he would eat off superior tableware! best wishes,
                  jeff
                  Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

That bastard John Robinson has everything! I should have known he would eat off superior tableware! best wishes,
                    jeff

See if I serve you ice cream on one of my plates for that remark!!!! Just shows you, keep something long enough, hula hoops, 45 rpm records, 57 Chevies, they become antiques and collectible. Just need to live long enough.

John

Comment

jeff
                      Jeff,

i don't blame John.I only eat off Royal Worcester or Spode. Good old English tableware.

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

Hi Mike,
                        welcome to the forum!
                        "The Collector's Guild" owned by Peter Whammond currently have a few items of Kreigsmarine table ware for sale, you may check out their site; as several items which may be of interest to you ahve appeared quite recently.

Best regards,

John.

Comment

Comment

Mike,

What year did the US Navy stop supplying their ships with the blue anchor china or are the ships still using it from old stock.

What are they using for new ships? No logos at all?

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X